I have a couple of driving rants

PsyOps

Pixelated
First rant:

This is a routine thing on my 50 commute to and from work. Maybe the folks who do this can answer why...

Driving in the right land up rt 4. Car is approaching in the left lane going at a much faster clip than me. I pay him no mind since he will be gone quickly. Gets next to me and slows down and paces me. Will pace me to the point where I come up on a slower car I want to pass, but can't.

WHY?

Second rant:

I'm la dee da-ing in the right lane listening to my Pat Metheny. Car passes me in the left at a good clip. Car gets in front of me and slows down. I pass car and get back in right lane. Car decides to pass me again, gets in front of me and slows down.

WHY?

thurley42

HY;FR
I can't provide any answers, but I relate.....it usually happens to me in the mornings on Rt. 4 (PF to Pax). On the way home it's a completely different problem, rolling roadblock at 50MPH. Nothing more maddening than running the 235/bridge gaundlet and then getting stuck in a cluster the entire way home.

DEEKAYPEE8569

First rant:

This is a routine thing on my 50 commute to and from work. Maybe the folks who do this can answer why...

Driving in the right land up rt 4. Car is approaching in the left lane going at a much faster clip than me. I pay him no mind since he will be gone quickly. Gets next to me and slows down and paces me. Will pace me to the point where I come up on a slower car I want to pass, but can't.

WHY?

Second rant:

I'm la dee da-ing in the right lane listening to my Pat Metheny. Car passes me in the left at a good clip. Car gets in front of me and slows down. I pass car and get back in right lane. Car decides to pass me again, gets in front of me and slows down.

WHY?

Rant 1. The driver in the other lane pacing you is just being a wank.

Rant 2. That guy is thinking, 'At least I am in front of you.' That's when you wait for him to get behind someone going slower, then pull into the left lane and pace him. Might be a d*ckhead move, but you can :neener: him, or fly by in the left lane and :howdy: .

black dog

Free America
Traffic jams??? A traffic jam where I live is two or three cars backed up behind Mrs Betty Bluehair going through town taking extra time at the 4 stop signs on Main St.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dickheads, that's why. Some people just want to screw with others. There's not even an element of self appointed policing in those behaviors. Just #######ry.

MR47930

First rant:

WHY?

Second rant:

WHY?

Does your vehicle in any way resemble a police vehicle? I've noticed that a lot of times when I'm behind someone they slow down and I believe its because I drive a blacked out SUV that looks similar to the unmarked ones the police drive in. Could be why they're "afraid" to pass you in the left lane. If you're vehicle doesn't resemble a police vehicle than the driver is just a douche which, I have found greatly outnumber the competent drivers in the area.

Clem72

Are we ranting? I have had it with white pickup trucks on route 5 pulling out directly in front of me when I am going 55-60mph and there is no one behind me for 100 yards or more. Wait two goddamn seconds.

Grumpy

Are we ranting? I have had it with white pickup trucks on route 5 pulling out directly in front of me when I am going 55-60mph and there is no one behind me for 100 yards or more. Wait two goddamn seconds.

I like the ones that slowly pull out and go directly to the fast lane.

Chris0nllyn

I like the ones that slowly pull out and go directly to the fast lane.

I've seen countless people do this coming out of the WAWA on 301 in Upper Marlboro. Even a few tractor trailers on occasion.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Hey! No rant hijacking. :mad:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dickheads, that's why.

This gets my vote.

Also, left lane campers - who are almost always women or old people - who seem oblivious to the cars rushing by them on the right because they are going 10 mph below the speed limit.

John Z

if you will
I think that many people don't really try to maintain a speed. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I almost always want to set the cruise control during a drive, even a short one. Definitely on my 42 mile drive to work (from the 'dorf area to Pax). I set it at the same not-too-dangerous +7 mph. That gives me a chance to see many people who don't maintain a set speed. I will slowly pass somebody, and before I can move back over into the right lane, they speed up 10 mph. OK, I move back over to the right lane behind them. Then a minute later, they are going slower than me again. Maybe if I didn't have cruise control, I'd drive like them....

PsyOps

Pixelated
I think that many people don't really try to maintain a speed. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I almost always want to set the cruise control during a drive, even a short one. Definitely on my 42 mile drive to work (from the 'dorf area to Pax). I set it at the same not-too-dangerous +7 mph. That gives me a chance to see many people who don't maintain a set speed. I will slowly pass somebody, and before I can move back over into the right lane, they speed up 10 mph. OK, I move back over to the right lane behind them. Then a minute later, they are going slower than me again. Maybe if I didn't have cruise control, I'd drive like them....

Something I forgot to add to my post is that I, too, use my cruise control. If i don't I find myself going much faster than I want to go. So, I know I'm maintaining a constant speed. I also don't linger in the left lane. When I pass, I do so quickly. I will speed up substantially just to get around the person and get out of the left lane. But, like you, I have had it happen to me countless times that the person I am passing will speed up, as if to say "oh no, you're not passing me".

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

When leaving Calvert via rt4 at o'dark thirty, cruise is set at 55, in the right lane. The further north, I go as the day gets brighter comes the onslaught of the rush. Aside from the occasional slower right lane driver, I rarely have to alter my course. It is fun to watch the yahoo's jockey. Shorting my drive by 10-15 minutes is not worth the stress.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

When leaving Calvert via rt4 at o'dark thirty, cruise is set at 55, in the right lane. The further north, I go as the day gets brighter comes the onslaught of the rush. Aside from the occasional slower right lane driver, I rarely have to alter my course. It is fun to watch the yahoo's jockey. Shorting my drive by 10-15 minutes is not worth the stress.

You always struck me as "that guy". :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Also, left lane campers - who are almost always women or old people - who seem oblivious to the cars rushing by them on the right because they are going 10 mph below the speed limit.

A "practice" that has been made illegal in many states now...hopefully in MD too, eventually.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A "practice" that has been made illegal in many states now...hopefully in MD too, eventually.

Texas has had that law forever and durhards still do it. They even have signs all over the highways in case you didn't know, forgot, or are too obtuse to get your slow ass over.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I like the European (or more specifically, German) model. They're about as quick to move out of your way as they are to pass you.

Having driven over there quite a bit myself, yes, they know how to do it right. Fails are usually horrific too.