Thoughts on giving yourself a baby shower?

CRHS89

I have a relative that is pregnant with her second child. The first child is 3 or 4. She is giving herself a baby shower. She has contacted people on facebook for their addresses and now has set up the invite on facebook as well. She advertised a "raffle" for those bringing diapers. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think this is tacky. It is one thing for a friend to give someone a shower and invite people to give their friend a gift. It seems another to ask for the gifts yourself. "Hey I am having a baby, give me something". Now don't get me wrong...I am very happy for her having another child. I just think it is in poor taste to throw yourself a shower. But I guess it falls in line with how things are now in our "me" society.

thurley42

HY;FR
I think you are putting way too much thought and time into something that has nothing to do with you....JMO

black dog

Free America
I'd have to agree with thurley, she has asked if you want to for boxes of diapers not silver from Tiffany's.

DQ2B

Just plain bad etiquette to throw a shower for yourself but I've seen plenty of bad etiquette in general so maybe people have simply not learned otherwise?

MR47930

I have a relative that is pregnant with her second child. The first child is 3 or 4. She is giving herself a baby shower. She has contacted people on facebook for their addresses and now has set up the invite on facebook as well. She advertised a "raffle" for those bringing diapers. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think this is tacky. It is one thing for a friend to give someone a shower and invite people to give their friend a gift. It seems another to ask for the gifts yourself. "Hey I am having a baby, give me something". Now don't get me wrong...I am very happy for her having another child. I just think it is in poor taste to throw yourself a shower. But I guess it falls in line with how things are now in our "me" society.

Can't you just not go? I doubt she wants someone with your attitude there anyway but felt obligated to invite you because you're family. Can't you just be happy for them without the smugness? God forbid someone is excited to be having a child, AND having a party to celebrate! The humanity!

black dog

Free America
They call this type of party a Diaper Bowl, it's done for the second child by people that don't need all that other kid stuff that is normally brought to baby showers.
A box of diapers is the cost of a ticket to enter the drawing for the prize. Normally a prepaid card. It seems pretty simple, if you don't want to give a measly 10 dollar gift, then don't.

How come you didn't plan and host the party?

CRHS89

They call this type of party a Diaper Bowl, it's done for the second child by people that don't need all that other kid stuff that is normally brought to baby showers.
A box of diapers is the cost of a ticket to enter the drawing for the prize. Normally a prepaid card. It seems pretty simple, if you don't want to give a measly 10 dollar gift, then don't.

1. This is a fairly distant relative who I am not close to 2. I live out of state
And just to clarify, I have no problem buying a gift for her. I am just not a fan of people throwing themselves showers. I guess I am old fashioned. When I was married many many years ago, I refused to have a "Dollar Dance" because I felt it was tacky to ask people to give me money to dance with me or my husband.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, throwing yourself a baby shower is tacky - UNLESS you specify no gifts. I like BD's description of the Diaper Bowl, though.

lovinmaryland

:yeahthat:

If its that big a deal offer to host the party for her :shrug:

black dog

Free America
Being it's for a second child I look at her planning her own party with a fun drawing the same as having a BBQ with bringing a silly gift for a chance in a drawing to win a rack of ribs to bring home.
It's not like she's asking for all dad's,uncle's cousins to tuck Ben Franklins during the last dance.

frequentflier

happy to be living

I agree with tacky.

Chris0nllyn

Throw a party - Cool
Throw a party and ask for people to bring diapers - Not Cool (I guess)

I'm always looking for a reason to throw a party, entertain, spend time with family. If it happens to be a baby shower I throw, so be it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I've never heard of this, but what a cool idea! Now, people just need to remember to give it the proper label so it's not confused with a shower, which is in poor taste. I have been to many baby showers that were given for 2nd or 3rd children. I never had a problem with it because they either needed the help, or it was a reason for friends to get together. We're all tacky like that.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've never heard of this, but what a cool idea! Now, people just need to remember to give it the proper label so it's not confused with a shower, which is in poor taste. I have been to many baby showers that were given for 2nd or 3rd children. I never had a problem with it because they either needed the help, or it was a reason for friends to get together. We're all tacky like that.

We had a wake for my Jack. :smile: