Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the baby Ospreys?

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    We were talking about it a couple of weeks ago, haven't had any problems with birds building nests on any of the radar or Comm towers this year.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    We were talking about it a couple of weeks ago, haven't had any problems with birds building nests on any of the radar or Comm towers this year.
    Nests are in all the usual places. It's the lack of chicks that we're focused on.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    It is illegal for the Coast Guard to do that. I doubt the Coast Guard got a special permit. Thus, they violated Federal law, that they too are suppose to enforce, not violate. You can contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to report the violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a Federal law.
    Only when there are eggs in the nest, until that point they're fair game.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

I have seen at least one Osprey fledgling in the nest on the marker as you come in/out of the Port Tobacco Marina. I'm not sure if there is another in there. I glance up occasionally at the nest on top of the sign on Hills Bridge (Rte 4 over the Patuxent) and I see adults, no signs of fledgling heads yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

fished from chaptico to Jefferson island sunday. didn't see any young ones in any nest as well.

I saw a single young one in the nest on the old torpedo range tower just coming on SGI.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

We had a pair of ospreys this year, but no babies in the nest box.
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

I saw another two chicks in an offshore box today. I also saw an eagle overhead, being followed at a distance by an single Osprey.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

I think there are probably babies in two nests I pass - the one on Hill's Bridge mentioned in post 14, and one on a utility pole on the ramp to PG Courthouse. Both nests have the adults hanging around on them, and they seem to be posturing like they are feeding young'uns. As the nests are far up and I only glance them driving by, it's hard to tell. If there are young, they should be about to fledge soon and I will be able to see them then.

I still like to peek in at these guys: http://ospreyzone.com/

Man, I'm still here !!!
    seems like we have babys O's in the nest in parking lot of my hanger on base.... saw an EEL ~ 2' brought in the other day !!!!

Members who have read this thread: 84