Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the baby Ospreys?

Where are all the baby Ospreys?

I have three Osprey poles around my property. No young ones. All of them had pairs.....something is fishy.......
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Blog Entries
    Huh..you too?? We were thinking maybe it was just us, but now that I think about it, I've seen no heads poking up in other nests on the island. Now I'll be taking a closer look.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I have three Osprey poles around my property. No young ones. All of them had pairs.....something is fishy.......
    I saw several broods yesterday evening. I did notice the coast guard replaced a bunch of markers during the late spring and disturbed a bunch of nests.
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    I saw several broods yesterday evening. I did notice the coast guard replaced a bunch of markers during the late spring and disturbed a bunch of nests.
    It is illegal for the Coast Guard to do that. I doubt the Coast Guard got a special permit. Thus, they violated Federal law, that they too are suppose to enforce, not violate. You can contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to report the violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a Federal law.

Man, I'm still here !!!
    our nest in back creek also seem to fail to produce babys. But the eagles nest did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    It is illegal for the Coast Guard to do that. I doubt the Coast Guard got a special permit. Thus, they violated Federal law, that they too are suppose to enforce, not violate. You can contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to report the violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a Federal law.
    I thought the same thing when I noticed when had nice new reflective markers but the osprey nests were gone. Just a few says prior I was talking with one of my neighbors who was fending off an osprey trying to build on their boat. She said once they start a nest you are screwed and it's illegal to disturb them. Then the new markers.
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    The federal government violates, or does not enforce, federal law everyday. So what's different about some birds? Do you think one federal agency is going to sue another federal agency? Now if those birds could sue, then they would have cause and standing to do so. Didn't you know though, those laws are only enforced upon us little people anyway.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Blog Entries
    ...all that sideline vitriol aside, our osprey nests are in old trees, far from any human interference. And..no chicks evident this year. ?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    ...all that sideline vitriol aside, our osprey nests are in old trees, far from any human interference. And..no chicks evident this year. ?
    Does the osprey have any predators? Has it been too hot or humid for the chicks? Bird flu?
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

Does the osprey have any predators? Has it been too hot or humid for the chicks? Bird flu?
    As I had reported on earlier, the bald eagles from the VA side were unusually aggressive and very late leaving this year. Never seen the like of that before. Were they responsible for the the dearth of osprey chicks this year too?..I've no idea.

Members who have read this thread: 84