Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where are all the baby Ospreys?

Broome's island...Pairs were flustered by our kayaking but NO fledglings. Last week we did a paddle near the mouth of the pax R.--again Pairs, no young. SOMETHING is going on.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

It will be interesting if the increase of bald eagles is the reason for the decline in osprey chicks. A chick sitting on a nest is an easy meal for an eagle. What's to be done then?
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Haven't seen many Ospreys this year. One big guy flies around. Him/her and a Blue Heron.

I've got like 6 turtle nests in my yard this year though. Never seen that before.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I have three Osprey poles around my property. No young ones. All of them had pairs.....something is fishy.......
    Osprey.. fishy..

I get jokes!
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    It will be interesting if the increase of bald eagles is the reason for the decline in osprey chicks. A chick sitting on a nest is an easy meal for an eagle. What's to be done then?
    Well at least they didn't go to waste. Makes for healthy eaglets.

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    The Ospreys on the Bay must be tougher , they run the Eagles out of town...fun to watch
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    The Ospreys on the Bay must be tougher , they run the Eagles out of town...fun to watch
    It seems only when it is two on one. The osprey I saw trailing the eagle the other day wasn't attacking. Just following at a respectable distance. And with chicks in the nest, one parent is never too far away.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

All three (two offshore, one on a pole) here in the Beach have chicks. We do have eagles around.

Blog Entries
    We're directly across the river from the VA shore where the eagles rule. The steady encroachment of the eagles on osprey habitat on our side has been something we've been noticing for a while now. Seems to have reached a tipping point in our immediate area..
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Man, I'm still here !!!
    http://forums.somd.com/threads/32225...figured-it-out

I told you in above link why the baby O's are not around, There are some BAD MO FO Mallard hens that come in, eat the baby O's and then lay their own eggs.... ;-))))

OBTW they hatched yesterday, so the baby's too will learn that these O nests are the best, It will keep you away from Racoons etc.... from eatting your eggs on the shore.

Members who have read this thread: 84