Where are all the baby Ospreys?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have three Osprey poles around my property. No young ones. All of them had pairs.....something is fishy.......

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Huh..you too?? We were thinking maybe it was just us, but now that I think about it, I've seen no heads poking up in other nests on the island. Now I'll be taking a closer look.

Midnightrider

I have three Osprey poles around my property. No young ones. All of them had pairs.....something is fishy.......

I saw several broods yesterday evening. I did notice the coast guard replaced a bunch of markers during the late spring and disturbed a bunch of nests.

3CATSAILOR

I saw several broods yesterday evening. I did notice the coast guard replaced a bunch of markers during the late spring and disturbed a bunch of nests.
It is illegal for the Coast Guard to do that. I doubt the Coast Guard got a special permit. Thus, they violated Federal law, that they too are suppose to enforce, not violate. You can contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to report the violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a Federal law.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
our nest in back creek also seem to fail to produce babys. But the eagles nest did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midnightrider

It is illegal for the Coast Guard to do that. I doubt the Coast Guard got a special permit. Thus, they violated Federal law, that they too are suppose to enforce, not violate. You can contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to report the violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a Federal law.

I thought the same thing when I noticed when had nice new reflective markers but the osprey nests were gone. Just a few says prior I was talking with one of my neighbors who was fending off an osprey trying to build on their boat. She said once they start a nest you are screwed and it's illegal to disturb them. Then the new markers.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The federal government violates, or does not enforce, federal law everyday. So what's different about some birds? Do you think one federal agency is going to sue another federal agency? Now if those birds could sue, then they would have cause and standing to do so. Didn't you know though, those laws are only enforced upon us little people anyway.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
...all that sideline vitriol aside, our osprey nests are in old trees, far from any human interference. And..no chicks evident this year. ?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

...all that sideline vitriol aside, our osprey nests are in old trees, far from any human interference. And..no chicks evident this year. ?

Does the osprey have any predators? Has it been too hot or humid for the chicks? Bird flu?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Does the osprey have any predators? Has it been too hot or humid for the chicks? Bird flu?

As I had reported on earlier, the bald eagles from the VA side were unusually aggressive and very late leaving this year. Never seen the like of that before. Were they responsible for the the dearth of osprey chicks this year too?..I've no idea.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
We were talking about it a couple of weeks ago, haven't had any problems with birds building nests on any of the radar or Comm towers this year.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We were talking about it a couple of weeks ago, haven't had any problems with birds building nests on any of the radar or Comm towers this year.

Nests are in all the usual places. It's the lack of chicks that we're focused on.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Only when there are eggs in the nest, until that point they're fair game.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I have seen at least one Osprey fledgling in the nest on the marker as you come in/out of the Port Tobacco Marina. I'm not sure if there is another in there. I glance up occasionally at the nest on top of the sign on Hills Bridge (Rte 4 over the Patuxent) and I see adults, no signs of fledgling heads yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I saw another two chicks in an offshore box today. I also saw an eagle overhead, being followed at a distance by an single Osprey.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I think there are probably babies in two nests I pass - the one on Hill's Bridge mentioned in post 14, and one on a utility pole on the ramp to PG Courthouse. Both nests have the adults hanging around on them, and they seem to be posturing like they are feeding young'uns. As the nests are far up and I only glance them driving by, it's hard to tell. If there are young, they should be about to fledge soon and I will be able to see them then.

I still like to peek in at these guys: http://ospreyzone.com/

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
seems like we have babys O's in the nest in parking lot of my hanger on base.... saw an EEL ~ 2' brought in the other day !!!!