Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyber Security degree vs Computer Science degree. Help!!!

I'll add another CS degree. Talk with CSM and see who they have guaranteed admissions agreements with.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I'll add another CS degree. Talk with CSM and see who they have guaranteed admissions agreements with.
    They say their courses transition smoothly towards a BS with UMUC - not always the case but hopefully for some.
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

I only saw one response that highlighted the difference in difficulty between a cyber security degree and a CS degree. It might be beneficial to let him start on the Cyber degree and if he finds it too easy then transfer to the university and likely not lose any time/credit (even Cyber specific courses should count towards some CS elective or another). If on the other hand, he finds the work challenging, then it may be an indicator that the CS degree may not be the best fit. There are also other technology/software development related degrees that won't have quite the math and science workload that a CS degree has. Not everyone needs to work on the theory end of software development, and you don't need to master combinatorics, calculus, physics, or be able to determine the algorithmic complexity of complex equations in order to be a good programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    I only saw one response that highlighted the difference in difficulty between a cyber security degree and a CS degree. It might be beneficial to let him start on the Cyber degree and if he finds it too easy then transfer to the university and likely not lose any time/credit (even Cyber specific courses should count towards some CS elective or another). If on the other hand, he finds the work challenging, then it may be an indicator that the CS degree may not be the best fit. There are also other technology/software development related degrees that won't have quite the math and science workload that a CS degree has. Not everyone needs to work on the theory end of software development, and you don't need to master combinatorics, calculus, physics, or be able to determine the algorithmic complexity of complex equations in order to be a good programmer.
    That's very true. Computer Science will be a much harder degree requiring multiple Calc courses. Calc III, Diff Eq., or Linear Algebra is a math elective in the 4th semester.
    CSM offers guaranteed transfers to Capella, Excelsior, Morgan State, Notre Dame of MD, St. Mary's College, and UMUC in Computer Science.
    http://catalog.csmd.edu/preview_prog...&returnto=1356

Unfortunately, there aren't many courses that overlap between Computer Science and CyberSecurity so I'm not sure how easy a transfer would be. I do know that the NSA and other agencies have come to CSM looking in the CyberSecurity program so that's always an option.
    http://catalog.csmd.edu/preview_prog...&returnto=1356

CSM also offers a Computer Info Systems program which is more business focused, along with a couple different IT-related degrees and certificate programs.
    http://www.csmd.edu/programs-courses...on-technology/
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Computer Science degree will definitely be more flexible and it doesn't preclude someone from working in cyber security.

Don't want to sound negative but let then get through their freshman year, most science type majors change direction after their first year or two.

Freshman year is probably damn near identical btw so don't sweat it. It probably isn't even very different from say a Chemistry majors freshman year. Math, freshman chemistry, English comp, an elective, and a computer class most likely the first semester.
    Most become Sociology and Liberal Arts majors after the 1st semester..
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Computer Science degree will definitely be more flexible and it doesn't preclude someone from working in cyber security.

Don't want to sound negative but let then get through their freshman year, most science type majors change direction after their first year or two.

Freshman year is probably damn near identical btw so don't sweat it. It probably isn't even very different from say a Chemistry majors freshman year. Math, freshman chemistry, English comp, an elective, and a computer class most likely the first semester.
    Most become Sociology and Liberal Arts majors after the 1st semester..

7. 07-10-2017, 02:40 PM

Computer Science is the IT version of General Studies. Cyber Security is extremely important to companies, and is becoming more of a factor as cloud computing is being increasingly leveraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Computer Science is the IT version of General Studies. Cyber Security is extremely important to companies, and is becoming more of a factor as cloud computing is being increasingly leveraged.
    CS is the ASME master mechanic. Cyber Security is oil-change tech at jiffy lube.

Blog Entries
    But to answer the OP..

CompSci is the way to go.. The harder the major the better the payout (normally).

You can work your tail off, get your CS degree, and then (if you want) go get all your security certifications, which you can do without a degree, In fact I'd bet if you got your degree in Cyber Security, it will not come with the needed certifications, and you'd still need to get all the training required to get your certifications before you become employable.

A CS degree will open MANY more doors and many more opportunities than an IT, IS or Cyber Security degree will.. and you can always do CompSci with an emphasis or minor in Cyber Security.

And yes, I have a CompSci degree.. I had NO inclination to do anything related to Cyber Security or IA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Have to ask.. you got your CS degree from where? IT version of General Studies?? Seriously??

Members who have read this thread: 87