Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car diagnostics and car repair

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yep, that's why the Jeep dealership replaced a $400 shifter in the wifes 2015 Jeep that did not fix the problem. Which I fixed by replacing a $170 battery.
    YOU totally knew what I meant. Glad you weren't taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    There is a very honest little shop in Callaway..St. Mary's Automotive. The fella that runs that is a master mechanic and very good at diagnostics too, without resorting to simply replacing parts to see if anything changes. Though I'm also a decent mechanic, I take some of my vehicles to him when I don't have the time or later-model skills to deal with something.
    Thank you so much. That is only a couple miles from me. I will look into it.

My bet is either a clogged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump. Your description has classic symptoms of fuel starvation. A clogged filter or weak pump will let just enough gas thru to idle or run at low speed, but at highway speed or especially under heavy acceleration it can't get enough fuel.

Checking fuel pressure at the injector manifold is fairly easy for any mechanic. Cost to replace the filter is minimal for most cars; cost to replace the pump can be high if the fuel tank must be dropped (many cars have a fuel pump actually located inside the fuel tank).

https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimat...mp-replacement
    https://repairpal.com/estimator/merc...placement-cost
    http://www.fixya.com/search/p697307-...filter_located

Replacing the filter is easy enough you can probably do it yourself and the cost is minimal ($15-20):
    https://itstillruns.com/how-to-repla...ars-10439.html
    Best to do that first, THEN if it doesn't fix the problem, take more steps. Don't let them talk you into the expensive fix first.

Quote Originally Posted by CdShiflett View Post
    YOU totally knew what I meant. Glad you weren't taken.

Well, I did pay a $100 dollar deductible for the shifter replacement (Jeep picked up the rest under the extended warranty). But of course, I had to buy the battery from Amazon, it being a super duper AGM battery locals wanted $230 for. but had I went back, I would have had the $100 copay, and if they had found the battery, I would have been on the hook for their overpriced version, well over $200 which I know only lasts two years :) But I'll bet they would have kept throwing other parts at it, computers, modules, sensors, who knows. They don't troubleshoot, they swap parts. Anyone Gilligan trusts, I would two, knowing his chops.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenhawk View Post
    My bet is either a clogged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump. Your description has classic symptoms of fuel starvation. A clogged filter or weak pump will let just enough gas thru to idle or run at low speed, but at highway speed or especially under heavy acceleration it can't get enough fuel.
    Fuel starvation sounds right. Fuel pump IMHO. The problem was/is intermittent which usually points to electrical.

Try Marks automotive just south of PAX main gate. Incredibly knowledgeable, honest, speedy, and reasonably priced service. I have lived in somd for over 15 years and been their customer over 10. Truly the best in their craft in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by preselector View Post
    Fuel starvation sounds right. Fuel pump IMHO. The problem was/is intermittent which usually points to electrical.
    Third on this one. And I don't know why dropping the tank would increase the cost, Its usually no more than a couple bolts and one or two hose clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mervmusic View Post
    Try Marks automotive just south of PAX main gate. Incredibly knowledgeable, honest, speedy, and reasonably priced service. I have lived in somd for over 15 years and been their customer over 10. Truly the best in their craft in the area.
    Southern Tire and Curtis are good as well in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    There is a very honest little shop in Callaway..St. Mary's Automotive. The fella that runs that is a master mechanic and very good at diagnostics too, without resorting to simply replacing parts to see if anything changes. Though I'm also a decent mechanic, I take some of my vehicles to him when I don't have the time or later-model skills to deal with something.
    +100! Been going to Jeff at St. Mary's Auto for years. Family business, honest as the day is long.
    Which part of "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

Members who have read this thread: 73