Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call ID

Call ID

It now seems that you can't trust the caller ID for your phone calls. I just received a call. Caller ID said Medstar Shah. I assumed it was our doctor's office. Ended up being someone trying to cell solar panels. How can they get this ID? Seems should be illegal. Guess we just need to stop answering the phone and if it is important they will leave a message. We don't answer the phone if it is someone we don't know, so now somehow they are making it look like it is our doctor's office. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by granny45 View Post
    It now seems that you can't trust the caller ID for your phone calls. I just received a call. Caller ID said Medstar Shah. I assumed it was our doctor's office. Ended up being someone trying to cell solar panels. How can they get this ID? Seems should be illegal. Guess we just need to stop answering the phone and if it is important they will leave a message. We don't answer the phone if it is someone we don't know, so now somehow they are making it look like it is our doctor's office. Crazy.
    That right there. I never answer the house phone, always let it go to VM.

Can't help but think that telemarketers keep calling because they know someone will answer. If no one answers, maybe they won't have a reason to call? Yeah, wishful thinking, I know.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    That right there. I never answer the house phone, always let it go to VM.
    Yeah. Thanks a lot. As my boat was sinking fast, yours was the only number I managed to get out before my phone went under.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  3.1 KB
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Name:  index.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  3.1 KB

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

I wouldn't have answered if I hadn't thought it was my doctor's office. Only answer when I know who it is. Now you can't even depend on the caller ID.

Quote Originally Posted by granny45 View Post
    I wouldn't have answered if I hadn't thought it was my doctor's office. Only answer when I know who it is. Now you can't even depend on the caller ID.
    No, you can't. CID gets spoofed pretty frequently now. A newer one is seeing your own number on the CID.
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    I'd like to know how they did that - got their number to show up as Shah/Medstar. That's a clear misrepresentation and you're right - it should be illegal. Although, since this is a scammer and already illegal, they're not going to be too choosy about following that pesky little law.

But I'd still like to know how they managed to get their Caller ID to show up as something other than what they are.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    No, you can't. CID gets spoofed pretty frequently now. A newer one is seeing your own number on the CID.

But how? It must be easy because otherwise how would they know which business name to choose? Medstar Shah means nothing outside of SoMD. Or maybe it's a local person doing the scam? Spoofing an email is fairly simple, but how would you do that with a phone service?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Personally, I would have played it like you had a sick/dying relative and you were waiting on a call back from the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

Members who have read this thread: 107