Call ID

granny45

It now seems that you can't trust the caller ID for your phone calls. I just received a call. Caller ID said Medstar Shah. I assumed it was our doctor's office. Ended up being someone trying to cell solar panels. How can they get this ID? Seems should be illegal. Guess we just need to stop answering the phone and if it is important they will leave a message. We don't answer the phone if it is someone we don't know, so now somehow they are making it look like it is our doctor's office. Crazy.

It now seems that you can't trust the caller ID for your phone calls. I just received a call. Caller ID said Medstar Shah. I assumed it was our doctor's office. Ended up being someone trying to cell solar panels. How can they get this ID? Seems should be illegal. Guess we just need to stop answering the phone and if it is important they will leave a message. We don't answer the phone if it is someone we don't know, so now somehow they are making it look like it is our doctor's office. Crazy.

That right there. I never answer the house phone, always let it go to VM.

Can't help but think that telemarketers keep calling because they know someone will answer. If no one answers, maybe they won't have a reason to call? Yeah, wishful thinking, I know.

index.jpg

granny45

I wouldn't have answered if I hadn't thought it was my doctor's office. Only answer when I know who it is. Now you can't even depend on the caller ID.

I wouldn't have answered if I hadn't thought it was my doctor's office. Only answer when I know who it is. Now you can't even depend on the caller ID.

No, you can't. CID gets spoofed pretty frequently now. A newer one is seeing your own number on the CID.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd like to know how they did that - got their number to show up as Shah/Medstar. That's a clear misrepresentation and you're right - it should be illegal. Although, since this is a scammer and already illegal, they're not going to be too choosy about following that pesky little law.

But I'd still like to know how they managed to get their Caller ID to show up as something other than what they are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No, you can't. CID gets spoofed pretty frequently now. A newer one is seeing your own number on the CID.

But how? It must be easy because otherwise how would they know which business name to choose? Medstar Shah means nothing outside of SoMD. Or maybe it's a local person doing the scam? Spoofing an email is fairly simple, but how would you do that with a phone service?

PeoplesElbow

But how? It must be easy because otherwise how would they know which business name to choose? Medstar Shah means nothing outside of SoMD. Or maybe it's a local person doing the scam? Spoofing an email is fairly simple, but how would you do that with a phone service?

If you have a Digital Subscriber Line (DSN), you can make the number and description say whatever you want it to. Places often use a local number sometimes even something like 301-863-0000 so you think its some place local. Sometimes they even use your own number and name because it is the calling entity that sends the information for the caller ID to read.

Chris0nllyn

But I'd still like to know how they managed to get their Caller ID to show up as something other than what they are.

It's called Caller ID Spoofing. It's been around for about a decade.

It's easier now with VOIP lines where the peopel can change what number is displayed. There's also a bunch of software out there on the internet for this sort of thing.

Also, it is illegal to spoof someone
with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value
and has been a law since 2009 (Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009).

The doctor's office was a small example and luckily nothing happened. Unfortunately, ####heads have used spoofing to call people from the "IRS" or "FBI". If you think something isn't right, hang up and call them yourself to be sure.

Goldenhawk

If you think something isn't right, hang up and call them yourself to be sure.
Shucks, even if it all sounds perfectly legit, NEVER give anyone info if they called you. Always thank them politely (or cuss them out, I don't care), then look up the number via public sources, and call it yourself.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I very very seldom answer but when I do and it is a Telemarketer I just give em a big ole "F YOU" and hang up..

MyTwoCents

Sadly there are apps available to do just that. Scammers have made calls showing that it is the IRS or FBI calling. They can make it say whatever they want. There are free apps that you can text people from your phone but have it show up as if it's coming from a different phone number.
It's scary how much people can do nowadays.

MyTwoCents

I very very seldom answer but when I do and it is a Telemarketer I just give em a big ole "F YOU" and hang up..

lol if by chance I answer and it's a telemarketer I just pull the good ole Jerry Seinfeld "I'm a little busy right now. Why don't you give me your name and home phone number and i'll call you later to discuss this." "Oh you don't want to do that? You probably don't want people calling you at home and bothering you, hmmm. Bye!"

lol if by chance I answer and it's a telemarketer I just pull the good ole Jerry Seinfeld "I'm a little busy right now. Why don't you give me your name and home phone number and i'll call you later to discuss this." "Oh you don't want to do that? You probably don't want people calling you at home and bothering you, hmmm. Bye!"

Which brings up and interesting thought....

Do telemarketers get calls from other telemarketers and what do they do about it? Are they on a special telemarketer DNC list so they don't bother each other?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Which brings up and interesting thought....

Do telemarketers get calls from other telemarketers and what do they do about it? Are they on a special telemarketer DNC list so they don't bother each other?

Ahma go out on a limb here and suggest..you got a lotta time on your hands for reflection, meditation, contemplation...

I'm jealous.

Ahma go out on a limb here and suggest..you got a lotta time on your hands for reflection, meditation, contemplation...

I'm jealous.

It was a slow day, waiting for the a/c guy that never showed. Too hot to do much else.

Wait until I start in with how you cannot have time travel unless you can instantly teleport as well.