Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SMECO and Origis Energy Announce New 27.5 MWAC Solar Power Project

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

Did you get a smart meter installed at your house?
    Yea.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Yea.
    Myself and some of my neighbors are holdouts paying SMECO's monthly extortion fee to keep our old meters.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

Myself and some of my neighbors are holdouts paying SMECO's monthly extortion fee to keep our old meters.
    I'm sure there is a class action lawsuit there somewhere for the extortion fee SMECO is demanding. I commend you for holding out. I continue to say that once everyone has a smart meter, the government will then dictate to the utility companies when we can and can't have electricity powering our homes. News or videos on the internet our government doesn't want us to see? Bam - turn off the electricity to the minions!

Concerning the new solar farms, my belief is that we will starve in this country because of the acres of productive farmland being gobbled up for this crap. But hey, the bright side is we should all have affordable environmentally friendly electricity.....when the government deems it is suitable for us!!

Quote Originally Posted by TPD View Post
    Concerning the new solar farms, my belief is that we will starve in this country because of the acres of productive farmland being gobbled up for this crap.
    What...the...fÜck...are...you...smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    What...the...fÜck...are...you...smoking.
    Lets look at it his way, Do you think SMECO's use of the land where the solar farm is now was good land management?
    And will it still be good land management in 20+ years, 30+ years?? its not like its not prime road frontage along a well used road.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Lets look at it his way, Do you think SMECO's use of the land where the solar farm is now was good land management?
    And will it still be good land management in 20+ years, 30+ years?? its not like its not prime road frontage along a well used road.
    That's not looking at it his way. He literally stated that we would starve to death from lack of farmland due to too many solar panels. You can't defend that idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    That's not looking at it his way. He literally stated that we would starve to death from lack of farmland due to too many solar panels. You can't defend that idiocy.
    i wasn't defending him, I was asking a question.. hence the question marks.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Concerning the new solar farms, my belief is that we will starve in this country because of the acres of productive farmland being gobbled up for this crap. But hey, the bright side is we should all have affordable environmentally friendly electricity.....when the government deems it is suitable for us!!
    What farming operation on Ripley is this going to displace ?

Since the demise of the Tobacco economy, there has been plenty of unused farmland in SoMD.

Concerning my comment about solar farms starving us - it is my opinion that solar panels are not the best use of tillable land. Some solar projects I have seen take the flattest most fertile ground out of production. There are proposals in southern Anne Arundel county to take 2 or 3 farms, 50-100 acres each, and fill with solar panels. In the chicken basket of Maryland, the Eastern Shore, there are proposals for hundreds, if not a thousand acres or more for solar panels on productive farmland. A farmer I know has outsmarted a utility & solar company on the lower shore for the foreseeable future to keep them from solarizing a couple hundred acre farm he leases. The eastern seaboard is already a corn deficit state, meaning we can not raise enough corn in this area to feed the chickens & cows that are being grown here by the likes of Perdue & Mountaire. There was already concern that yield gains in production ag would not be able to keep up with worldwide demand for food in the next 50 years. This was before the advent of solar energy gobbling up productive farmland. If we as a state and country are hell bent on clean renewable energy, let's look at wind power - that takes a much smaller footprint and can be installed on the side of mountains and in oceans - areas that are not as suitable for the production of food.

Being involved with agriculture and the legislative process at the state level gives me a leg up on some of these issues. I try to be a big picture guy. I don't really care what you think about the way I see things. Stick your head in the sand and let government control your life. I would like to control my own destiny.

Concerning my comment about solar farms starving us ...
    plenty of sun baked desert out west

There was already concern that yield gains in production ag would not be able to keep up with worldwide demand for food in the next 50 years.

ethanol has already priced poor Mexicans out of the corn Market
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Members who have read this thread: 49