SMECO and Origis Energy Announce New 27.5 MWAC Solar Power Project

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: SMECO and Origis Energy Announce New 27.5 MWAC Solar Power Project

Date: 07-11-2017 10:22 AM

Summary: Ripley Solar to help SMECO fulfill its state mandated renewable portfolio standards.

Click here for the full story...

Chris0nllyn

Yay! can't wait to see my $17 credit.... after everyone else gets their cut. Businesses, government, etc.

Yep, but I'd rather have $17 extra in my pocket. :shrug:

My point was, SMECO already has a solar farm and our rates have dropped recently. I doubt the claim that paying the penalty is better for customers.

Restitution

Yep, but I'd rather have $17 extra in my pocket. :shrug:

Yeah. I just wonder how much more it would have been if they included the money they used to publicize how they were giving back credit to their customers!

After reading some of the hyped propaganda, you would think everyone was getting a free month!

Chris0nllyn

Yeah. I just wonder how much more it would have been if they included the money they used to publicize how they were giving back credit to their customers!

After reading some of the hyped propaganda, you would think everyone was getting a free month!

Marketing is a beautiful thing.

They could have just sent the credits and a little notice saying "This month we knocked $xx off your bill because blah blah blah" and be done.

I think I got about as much notice for the credits as I did on the smart meter.

TPD

the poor dad
If I may ...

Myself and some of my neighbors are holdouts paying SMECO's monthly extortion fee to keep our old meters.

I'm sure there is a class action lawsuit there somewhere for the extortion fee SMECO is demanding. I commend you for holding out. I continue to say that once everyone has a smart meter, the government will then dictate to the utility companies when we can and can't have electricity powering our homes. News or videos on the internet our government doesn't want us to see? Bam - turn off the electricity to the minions!

Concerning the new solar farms, my belief is that we will starve in this country because of the acres of productive farmland being gobbled up for this crap. But hey, the bright side is we should all have affordable environmentally friendly electricity.....when the government deems it is suitable for us!!

Clem72

Concerning the new solar farms, my belief is that we will starve in this country because of the acres of productive farmland being gobbled up for this crap.

What...the...fÜck...are...you...smoking.

black dog

Free America
What...the...fÜck...are...you...smoking.

Lets look at it his way, Do you think SMECO's use of the land where the solar farm is now was good land management?
And will it still be good land management in 20+ years, 30+ years?? its not like its not prime road frontage along a well used road.

Clem72

Lets look at it his way, Do you think SMECO's use of the land where the solar farm is now was good land management?
And will it still be good land management in 20+ years, 30+ years?? its not like its not prime road frontage along a well used road.

That's not looking at it his way. He literally stated that we would starve to death from lack of farmland due to too many solar panels. You can't defend that idiocy.

black dog

Free America
That's not looking at it his way. He literally stated that we would starve to death from lack of farmland due to too many solar panels. You can't defend that idiocy.

i wasn't defending him, I was asking a question.. hence the question marks.

officeguy

Concerning the new solar farms, my belief is that we will starve in this country because of the acres of productive farmland being gobbled up for this crap. But hey, the bright side is we should all have affordable environmentally friendly electricity.....when the government deems it is suitable for us!!

What farming operation on Ripley is this going to displace ?

Since the demise of the Tobacco economy, there has been plenty of unused farmland in SoMD.

TPD

the poor dad
Concerning my comment about solar farms starving us - it is my opinion that solar panels are not the best use of tillable land. Some solar projects I have seen take the flattest most fertile ground out of production. There are proposals in southern Anne Arundel county to take 2 or 3 farms, 50-100 acres each, and fill with solar panels. In the chicken basket of Maryland, the Eastern Shore, there are proposals for hundreds, if not a thousand acres or more for solar panels on productive farmland. A farmer I know has outsmarted a utility & solar company on the lower shore for the foreseeable future to keep them from solarizing a couple hundred acre farm he leases. The eastern seaboard is already a corn deficit state, meaning we can not raise enough corn in this area to feed the chickens & cows that are being grown here by the likes of Perdue & Mountaire. There was already concern that yield gains in production ag would not be able to keep up with worldwide demand for food in the next 50 years. This was before the advent of solar energy gobbling up productive farmland. If we as a state and country are hell bent on clean renewable energy, let's look at wind power - that takes a much smaller footprint and can be installed on the side of mountains and in oceans - areas that are not as suitable for the production of food.

Being involved with agriculture and the legislative process at the state level gives me a leg up on some of these issues. I try to be a big picture guy. I don't really care what you think about the way I see things. Stick your head in the sand and let government control your life. I would like to control my own destiny.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Concerning my comment about solar farms starving us ...

plenty of sun baked desert out west :shrug:

There was already concern that yield gains in production ag would not be able to keep up with worldwide demand for food in the next 50 years.

ethanol has already priced poor Mexicans out of the corn Market