Always wanted to be a triple D, but this is not what I had in mind.

luvmygdaughters

Bent over Sunday morning to pick up the laundry basket and my lower back decided it didnt want to do laundry that day. Tried to schedule an appt. with my doctor, however, once again, she is out of town for two weeks!! So, Shah Associates try to fit me in with another doctor. Great!! They got me an appt. in Charlotte Hall yesterday. Wonderful!!!...15 minutes later they call back to say...oops, our bad, that doctor is only seeing pediatric patients now. We can get you another appt with yet another doctor, but not till Thursday. Let me explain, there is no way in hell my back pain is going to behave itself until Thursday without some major pain relief. So I go to urgent care in Charlotte Hall, they take an X-ray and determine its Degenerative Disc Disease (the 3 D's). The nurse practitioner prescribed me Lidocaine Patches, Muscle Relaxers and told me take Tylenol Arthritis and to...follow up with MY DOCTOR, who unfortunately, never seems to be in town. So, after that long story, who do you use as your primary care doctor? My sister loves her doctor, however, he isnt taking new patients. I would prefer someone in St. Mary's, but, Calvert isnt out of the question. Also, has anybody else suffered with this DDD? If so, any suggestions for exercises or stretches that would help alleviate the pain?

Grumpy

Bent over Sunday morning to pick up the laundry basket and my lower back decided it didnt want to do laundry that day. Tried to schedule an appt. with my doctor, however, once again, she is out of town for two weeks!! So, Shah Associates try to fit me in with another doctor. Great!! They got me an appt. in Charlotte Hall yesterday. Wonderful!!!...15 minutes later they call back to say...oops, our bad, that doctor is only seeing pediatric patients now. We can get you another appt with yet another doctor, but not till Thursday. Let me explain, there is no way in hell my back pain is going to behave itself until Thursday without some major pain relief. So I go to urgent care in Charlotte Hall, they take an X-ray and determine its Degenerative Disc Disease (the 3 D's). The nurse practitioner prescribed me Lidocaine Patches, Muscle Relaxers and told me take Tylenol Arthritis and to...follow up with MY DOCTOR, who unfortunately, never seems to be in town. So, after that long story, who do you use as your primary care doctor? My sister loves her doctor, however, he isnt taking new patients. I would prefer someone in St. Mary's, but, Calvert isnt out of the question. Also, has anybody else suffered with this DDD? If so, any suggestions for exercises or stretches that would help alleviate the pain?

Makesh Mathur, used to be at Calvert Hospital but now up the road in Huntingtown. By far the best GP I've had, all other GP's offices seemed like a cattle call and you were given 10 minutes with the doc, then 'see ya'..Been going to Mathur for 10 years and no complaints.

Wishbone

all other GP's offices seemed like a cattle call and you were given 10 minutes with the doc, then 'see ya'..

Thats what I'm going to miss about my Doc when he retires. The only thing I'll be able to replace him with will be a Shah or worse.

Short of surgery, there isn't a whole lot you can do for that except manage the pain. There used to be a woman who had a warm water pool and provided therapy, don't think she's in business anymore, kept running into problems with permits and such. Helped me a lot when I had a bad back. There used to be a pain management clinic at the hospital in Prince Frederick. Had more than a few epidurals there.

frequentflier

happy to be living

I have DDD and arthritis in my back and arthritis in my knees as well. Bi weekly chiropractic adjustments help with my back. Alexander chiropractic is good and in both Calvert and St Mary's.

Roman

Benner Medical Group in Calvert, just over the bridge at the Urgent Care Building in Solomon's. Great Docs, PA's, and NP's there.

luvmygdaughters

I have DDD and arthritis in my back and arthritis in my knees as well. Bi weekly chiropractic adjustments help with my back. Alexander chiropractic is good and in both Calvert and St Mary's.

Hmmm, I didnt think of chiropractic, does your insurance cover this? I may have to check that out. Really dont want to have surgery if I can avoid it. I had spinal disc fusion done in my upper spine, about 8-9 years ago. Dont want to be laid up for 6 weeks again. Thanks for the suggestion!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Hmmm, I didnt think of chiropractic, does your insurance cover this? I may have to check that out. Really dont want to have surgery if I can avoid it. I had spinal disc fusion done in my upper spine, about 8-9 years ago. Dont want to be laid up for 6 weeks again. Thanks for the suggestion!

My insurance does cover it however I do have to go every two weeks. Which is fine. The maintenance plan keeps me mobile!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
please please pleaseeee find some kind of stretching/yoga/pilates/exercise that your Dr will recommend - keep moving (when you can) and try and do daily stretching!! My mother has this and she does NOT do this nearly enough. She manages mostly but I really wish she wasn't so stubborn and worried about everyone else and take care of herself better. She always feels so much better when she commits to some daily stretching or a yoga-type workout but it's usually infrequent. Also, she realized she had this shortly after my parents bought a boat and now she hardly ever goes out on it with my dad :ohwell: She can manage the CT River on a calm day if he drives slowly, but anything more and she's out. They avoid boating on the Long Island Sound altogether (similar to the Chesapeake Bay).

luvmygdaughters

please please pleaseeee find some kind of stretching/yoga/pilates/exercise that your Dr will recommend - keep moving (when you can) and try and do daily stretching!! My mother has this and she does NOT do this nearly enough. She manages mostly but I really wish she wasn't so stubborn and worried about everyone else and take care of herself better. She always feels so much better when she commits to some daily stretching or a yoga-type workout but it's usually infrequent. Also, she realized she had this shortly after my parents bought a boat and now she hardly ever goes out on it with my dad :ohwell: She can manage the CT River on a calm day if he drives slowly, but anything more and she's out. They avoid boating on the Long Island Sound altogether (similar to the Chesapeake Bay).

I did read there are some stretches that you can do which will help take pressure off of the discs. Unfortunately, I sit at a desk for almost 8 hours a day. I have been taking small breaks to walk around the office for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. It does seem to help lessen the pain and pressure.