Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VA offshore wind turbine pilot project

Blog Entries
    Could it be that at times each turbine consumes more than 50% of its rated capacity in its own operation?! If so, the plant as a whole -- which may produce only 25% of its rated capacity annually -- would be using (for free!) twice as much electricity as it produces and sells. An unlikely situation perhaps, but the industry doesn't publicize any data that proves otherwise; incoming power is apparently not normally recorded.

Interesting thought from:

http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html

Also stated in other articles.. MOST wind farms produce less than 20% of their capacity.. many much less than 20% of their capacity..

If you want to produce X of kWh you need at LEAST 4 times the production capacity to meet that goal.

You need 10 kWh of power, and you find a Wind Turbine rated at 10kWh capacity, you'll need more than 4 of them to get what you want.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Could it be that at times each turbine consumes more than 50% of its rated capacity in its own operation?! If so, the plant as a whole -- which may produce only 25% of its rated capacity annually -- would be using (for free!) twice as much electricity as it produces and sells. An unlikely situation perhaps, but the industry doesn't publicize any data that proves otherwise; incoming power is apparently not normally recorded.

Interesting thought from:

http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html

Also stated in other articles.. MOST wind farms produce less than 20% of their capacity.. many much less than 20% of their capacity..

If you want to produce X of kWh you need at LEAST 4 times the production capacity to meet that goal.

You need 10 kWh of power, and you find a Wind Turbine rated at 10kWh capacity, you'll need more than 4 of them to get what you want.
    Interesting that you talk about capacity, We have a farm about 8 miles west of me. It seems that the windmills produce only so much power each month and you will see many of them stand [ not spinning ] still for weeks at a time while ones all the way around it will be spinning with the 15 kt wind at the time you look at them.
    I have a windmill on my sailboat, it spins 24-7 while underway with 4 kts of wind or more. but it only produces power when the controller / regulator tells it to.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Blog Entries
    Good read, depending on how brainwashed you are by the alternative energy fanatics..

http://www.aweo.org/problemwithwind.html
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I didn't know that the State owned any of them? My understanding is they were all privately owned then.
    Which, the ones in Hawaii or the ones in Riverside. Guess it doesn't matter, I think they are both private (with lots of state subsidies) I am fairly sure the Riverside ones are PG&E, the other is HEI.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Good read, depending on how brainwashed you are by the alternative energy fanatics..

http://www.aweo.org/problemwithwind.html
    Thanks, I'm a coal guy myself...burn baby burn. I'm a wind believer for certain things. Like lights in a remote polebarn, A remote property or cabin, its works well on my boat for better than 20+ years with just normal maintenance. It can easily produce more juice that i can use as long as there is wind. And with no wind, I fire that diesel up and charge the house battery bank.
    I would bet that if everyone in the USA were to upgrade their home insulation, new furnace. tankless water heater and add air to there car tires alot of this green would not be on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Which, the ones in Hawaii or the ones in Riverside. Guess it doesn't matter, I think they are both private (with lots of state subsidies) I am fairly sure the Riverside ones are PG&E, the other is HEI.
    I was talking about Hawaii..

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Thanks, I'm a coal guy myself...burn baby burn. I'm a wind believer for certain things. Like lights in a remote polebarn, A remote property or cabin, its works well on my boat for better than 20+ years with just normal maintenance. It can easily produce more juice that i can use as long as there is wind. And with no wind, I fire that diesel up and charge the house battery bank.
    I would bet that if everyone in the USA were to upgrade their home insulation, new furnace. tankless water heater and add air to there car tires alot of this green would not be on the table.
    100% spot on.

But I'm a whore, too. A large part of our vessel-build business right now is for wind farm vessels. So I'm like ""oh hells yeah,,,love me some more wind farms baby..bring 'em!"
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 36