Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: VA offshore wind turbine pilot project

  1. #1

    VA offshore wind turbine pilot project

    ...slowly moving forward. All of 2 turbines though...not much.

    https://www.marinetechnologynews.com...t-moves-550315
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  2. #2
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    ...slowly moving forward. All of 2 turbines though...not much.

    https://www.marinetechnologynews.com...t-moves-550315
    How long before they're get too expensive to maintain, and they are just rotting rusting eyesores that boaters go out to fish around?
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    How long before they're get too expensive to maintain, and they are just rotting rusting eyesores that boaters go out to fish around?
    I believe it took less than 25 years in Hawaii, they have at least 6 derelict wind farms the last time I looked.

    Name:  article-0-123AFB03000005DC-930_306x583.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  39.0 KB
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  4. #4
    Two whole turbines.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    How long before they're get too expensive to maintain, and they are just rotting rusting eyesores that boaters go out to fish around?
    Beats me. The data is all over the map... In Europe, they've "bet the farm" on wind and have reached such a high percentage of it in their power mix that going back would be pretty tough. Meaning that the hardware is going to have to maintained and replaced when necessary. Here?..different story. So much of our alternative energy sector is for liberal show-and-tell and does not pass the economic smell tests. We'll see...the LCOE for alternative power is indeed dropping steadily..
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  6. #6
    Its seems here in the eights at least, maybe longer,,, the Government gave huge rebates to about any junk that would stand up, And now no one wants to own up to who actually owns some of these architectural museums that we are left with. We should just call it Worhols Field Art..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  7. #7
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    33,323
    most of it gets shut down once the subsides dry up
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I believe it took less than 25 years in Hawaii, they have at least 6 derelict wind farms the last time I looked.

    Name:  article-0-123AFB03000005DC-930_306x583.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  39.0 KB
    I think that's more an issue of Hawaii not caring enough to upkeep the turbines. They already have more renewables than they know what to do with (everyone going to solar to get away from the crazy expensive electric co).

    There are wind farms outside riverside California that have been in use continuously for 20+ years.

  9. #9
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    I think that's more an issue of Hawaii not caring enough to upkeep the turbines. They already have more renewables than they know what to do with (everyone going to solar to get away from the crazy expensive electric co).

    There are wind farms outside riverside California that have been in use continuously for 20+ years.
    Drive out to Stockton from San Fran.. you'll pass through HUGE wind farms where the majority are broke.. inoperative.. just standing, stationary, producing nothing.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    I think that's more an issue of Hawaii not caring enough to upkeep the turbines. They already have more renewables than they know what to do with (everyone going to solar to get away from the crazy expensive electric co).

    There are wind farms outside riverside California that have been in use continuously for 20+ years.
    I didn't know that the State owned any of them? My understanding is they were all privately owned then.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Members who have read this thread: 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |