Metrocast Sold to Cogeco (Atlantic Broadband)

Clem72

Even if you assume the customer service is typical (seems like all the big ISPs have horrible ratings), I'm not encouraged by their pricing. For Cumberland, the closest location I could find that they service, they charge $51.49 for 15Mbit internet service. They have "introductory pricing" for their 60Mbit tier at $29.99, but it jumps to $67.99 (vs $57 for Metrocast 50Mbit) after a year, and their 120Mbit is $80/yr (vs $76/yr for Metrocast 150Mbit).

At least they claim not to have any caps on their service.

Last edited:

Clem72

Why can't we get a decent cable provider down here? :drama: :burning: :bawl:

I don't think metrocast is too bad considering the alternatives. A bit expensive on the internet only packages, but as you can see they are cheaper than the competition. We will never really get a good value unless there were a completing provider, which we won't get.

SamSpade

Does anyone have any personal experience with Atlantic Broadband? I have to admit, I'm a little concerned that I'm going to be paying more money for worse service, and my job currently depends on reliable service.

And I am personally ticked off - really, all the time - that state governments allow cable companies to always have a monopoly in any area.
It's always been my thought that if a company has a monopoly the government allows, it is incumbent on them to keep costs down.

What it does mean - as far as I know - is that government doesn't regard cable as essential as say, water or electricity but it's becoming more clear that Internet access is far too vital to not give it that consideration.