What Did Woodrow Know?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something

The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy.

philibusters

Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something

The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy.

I don't quite agree, but there is definitely a grassroots movement in both parties that feel this way.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Are you referring to Woodrow Wilson? The fella that usurped the constitution by signing into law the federal reserve act of 1913 that established a private central bank that gave bankers carte blanche to financially rape the country and the citizens thereof? The very law, that till this day, is the cause of nearly all the misery laid upon this nation? The law that created an environment where it is extremely difficult to save for retirement because of the loss of the purchasing value of the dollar caused by the expansion of the money supply? The law that creates a scarcity of currency by never creating the interest that is due on all loans but only the principle that creates foreclosures, homelessness, job loss etc. because it shrinks the money in circulation caused by the bankers refusing to give loans for whatever reason of the day? The Woodrow that signed into law America's financial death warrant? That Woodrow?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Are you referring to Woodrow Wilson?

That Woodrow?

I'm thinking ....

Woodrow Wilson: America’s Worst and First Fascist President

He rejected the principles of “separation of powers” and “checks and balances” that are the foundation of American government: “Government does now whatever experience permits or the times demand….” wrote Wilson in The State.

[clip]

Wilson created the first official propaganda department in the US.

A week after Congress declared war on Germany, Wilson created a government apparatus whose sole purpose was to lie to the American people, the first modern ministry for propaganda in the West. It was called the Committee on Public Information and was led by journalist George Creel.

Edward Bernays, an adviser to Wilson and participant in CPI operations, characterized the mission of CPI as the “engineering of consent” and “the conscious manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses.”

A typical poster for Liberty Bonds read: “I am Public Opinion. All men fear me!…f you have money to buy and do not buy, I will make this No Man’s Land for you!” Other posters were created to mobilize the public and silence dissent.

A trained group of nearly a hundred thousand men gave four minute speeches to any audience that would listen. They portrayed Wilson as a larger-than-life leader and the Germans as less-than-human Huns, emphasizing fabricated German war crimes and horrors.

CPI released propaganda films entitled The Claws of the Hun, The Prussian Cur, To Hell With The Kaiser, and The Kaiser, the Beast of Berlin.

Wilson harshly suppressed dissent and resistance among citizens and the press.

At Wilson’s urging, a Sedition Act (not unlike the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 ) forbade Americans from criticizing their own government in a time of war. Citizens could not “utter, print, write or publish any disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language” about the government or the military. The Postmaster General was given the authority to revoke the mailing privileges of those who disobeyed. About 75 periodicals were were shut down by the government in this way and many others were given warnings.

In the fashion of a police state, the Department of Justice arrested tens of thousands of individuals without just cause. One was not safe even within the walls of one’s own home to criticize the Wilson administration. A letter to federal attorneys and marshals said that citizens had nothing to fear as long as they “Obey the law; keep your mouth shut.” In fact, the Justice Department created the precursor to the Gestapo called the American Protective League. Its job was to spy on fellow citizens and turn in “seditious” persons or draft dodgers. In September of 1918 in NYC, the APL rounded up about 50,000 people. This doesn’t even include the infamous Palmer Raids (named after Wilson’s attorney general) that occurred after the war.

In 1915, in his address to Congress, Wilson declared, “The gravest threats against our national peace and safety have been uttered within our own borders. There are citizens of the United States, I blush to admit, born under other flags…who have poured the poison of disloyalty into the very arteries of our national life; who have sought to bring the authority and good name of our Government into contempt, to destroy our industries wherever they thought it effective for their vindictive purposes….”

All in all it is estimated that about 175,000 Americans were arrested for failing to demonstrate their patriotism in one way or another.

Liberal Fascism has a great chapter on Wilson

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may ...

Are you referring to Woodrow Wilson? The fella that usurped the constitution by signing into law the federal reserve act of 1913 that established a private central bank that gave bankers carte blanche to financially rape the country and the citizens thereof? The very law, that till this day, is the cause of nearly all the misery laid upon this nation? The law that created an environment where it is extremely difficult to save for retirement because of the loss of the purchasing value of the dollar caused by the expansion of the money supply? The law that creates a scarcity of currency by never creating the interest that is due on all loans but only the principle that creates foreclosures, homelessness, job loss etc. because it shrinks the money in circulation caused by the bankers refusing to give loans for whatever reason of the day? The Woodrow that signed into law America's financial death warrant? That Woodrow?

How did he usurp the constitution? He signed a bill that had been passed by the Congress in accordance with the Constitution.

philibusters

If I may ...

You can argue the Federal Reserve was a bad policy decision (I actually think its worked well), but I don't think it violated the Constitution. Congress was given the power to make money and from the George Washington's term it was acknowledged by all that they could use a central bank to control the money supply. When Hamilton proposed a central bank during Washington's term the arguments against it were that it was bad policy not unconstitutional.

For what its worth, inflation has been very tamed since the mid the 1980's. We averaged like 1.5% during Obama's tenure so that criticism of the law is not relevant right now in 2017. I am not sure what you meant by "it creates a scarcity of currency by never creating the interest that is due on all loans, but only the principle"

philibusters

The quote by Wilson describes how a good amount of Americans today feel though it was taken out of context. The full quote is:

"Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of somebody, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it. They know that America is not a place of which it can be said, as it used to be, that a man may choose his own calling and pursue it just as far as his abilities enable him to pursue it; because to-day, if he enters certain fields, there are organizations which will use means against him that will prevent his building up a business which they do not want to have built up; organizations that will see to it that the ground is cut from under him and the markets shut against him. For if he begins to sell to certain retail dealers, to any retail dealers, the monopoly will refuse to sell to those dealers, and those dealers, afraid, will not buy the new man's wares."

Basically he was saying certain business special interests stack the field against those trying to enter the field. It would be like if Exxon Mobile artificially lowered their gas prices for 6 months because they knew they could withstand it but the new players in the field could not stand selling that low and it would drive them out of business.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You can argue the Federal Reserve was a bad policy decision (I actually think its worked well), but I don't think it violated the Constitution. Congress was given the power to make money and from the George Washington's term it was acknowledged by all that they could use a central bank to control the money supply. When Hamilton proposed a central bank during Washington's term the arguments against it were that it was bad policy not unconstitutional.

For what its worth, inflation has been very tamed since the mid the 1980's. We averaged like 1.5% during Obama's tenure so that criticism of the law is not relevant right now in 2017. I am not sure what you meant by "it creates a scarcity of currency by never creating the interest that is due on all loans, but only the principle"

You must have really had a whole bunch of that cool-aid. Government reporting of numbers, never, never, never equate to real world suffering. The list below is an exercise in what is know as "inflation" or in other more truer words, "the expansion of the money supply". Now try and follow me on this. All money in circulation, all money, is the result of a loan somewhere along the line. Be it treasury bonds, car loans, home loans, credit cards, commercial loans, etc. All money in existence has been created via a loan process. At every creation point, only the principle was created. Not the interest. So when loans are paid back with interest, money in circulation is reduced by the amount of the principle plus the interest. This necessitates new loans having to be created in order for that new money to enter the economy and circulate to make up for the money that has been removed from the economy via loan payback. So when banks, for whatever reason, stop making loans, ie creating new money, the amount of money in circulation will decrease, ie money scarcity, causing all kinds of problems.

Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution Clause 5: "Congress shall have power To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;"
Not a bunch of unanswerable private bankers. It was meant for "the people" to control the value of money.

Average New home: 1970 $23,450.00 , 1980 $68,700.00 by 1989 was $120,00.00. Today $406400
Average wage: 1970 $9,400.00 , 1980 $19,500.00, in 2015 was $48,098.63
Gallon of gas: 1970 36 cents , 1980 $1.19 Today $2.29
Loaf of bread: 1970 25 cents , 1980 50 cents Today $1.35
Pound of hamburger: 1970 70 cents , 1980 99 cents Today $5.29
Postage stamp: 1970 .06, 1980 0.15 Today-.049
1970 United States Debt $371 Billion. 1980 $908 Billion, 2016 $19,573 Trillion

The true definition of inflation, the word you hear everyday in the news, is, in actuality, the expansion of the money supply via debt.