1 dead in 2 car crash; intersection of Dares Beach Rd and Dares Wharf Rd

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1906 hours the Calvert Control Center broadcast a personal injury motor vehicle crash at the intersection of Dares Beach Road and Dares Wharf Road in Prince Frederick. Tpr Stull was the first trooper to arrive at the scene.

Preliminary investigation revealed that Daniel Fred O'Connell, W/M, 68 years of age, was driving a 1971 Chevrolet El Camino heading westbound on Dares Beach Rd. O'Connell's adult son was a passenger in the vehicle. As the El Camino was approaching Dares Wharf Rd, a 2008 Lincoln Navigator driven by Donald Raymond King Jr, W/M, 35 years of age, made a left turn attempting to proceed onto Dares Wharf Rd. In the vehicle with King was his eight year old daughter. Both drivers attempted to avoid the collision but were unable to do so. O'Connell and his passenger were transported by ambulance to Calvert Memorial Hospital. King and his passenger were uninjured and were not transported by EMS.

On the way to CMH, O'Connell's condition rapidly deteriorated and the ambulance personnel contacted Syscom for a medevac flight. The ambulance met Trooper #2 at the corner of Dares Beach Rd and Route 4. O'Connell was transported to PG Shock Trauma where he later died from injuries.

The case is still under investigation and anyone with information is urged to contact Tpr. K. Stull at the Maryland State Police Prince Frederick Barrack (410) 535-1400. Case # 17-MSP-029173

glhs837

Power with Control
Got to wonder whether the ElCamino had shoulder belts.

Hmmm, were it a passenger car, by them it would have been required, I think 68 was the last year they were optional. But I'm not sure if it got an exception, being a "truck".

Chris0nllyn

Hmmm, were it a passenger car, by them it would have been required, I think 68 was the last year they were optional. But I'm not sure if it got an exception, being a "truck".

My dad's old '69 F100 had only lap belts.

(and a gas tank right behind your back) :lol:

Grumpy

Got to wonder whether the ElCamino had shoulder belts.

Shoulder restraints were optional if I remember correctly. Had a work 71 El Camino that I drove for a year back in the day (73/74), I remember a hookup on the pillar behind the window but no shoulder belt for it.

Was on the scene of that accident, thinking it was non-attention (be it texting/phone), definitely had a clear view of traffic coming to that intersection. Have seen that El Camino quite a lot and never saw it speeding or squirrelling around.

NextJen

Raisin cane
the story doesn't say which occupant of the car perished. It doesn't...

I got this from the article:

Daniel Fred O'Connell, W/M, 68 years of age, was driving a 1971 Chevrolet El Camino O'Connell's adult son was a passenger in the vehicle.
O'Connell (I shall assume the father) and his passenger were transported by ambulance to Calvert Memorial Hospital.

On the way to CMH, O'Connell's condition (I assume Fred, the father, since they never mention the son's name at all) rapidly deteriorated.....
O'Connell was transported to PG Shock Trauma where he later died from injuries.

So, it appears that Fred O'Connell is the gentleman that perished.