Jet blast kills tourist in St Martin

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Maho beach. Part of the St Martin experience.

[FONT=&quot]A New Zealand woman has died on the Caribbean island of Sint Maarten after the blast from a powerful jet engine knocked her to the ground.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The incident happened at the famous Princess Juliana International Airport, which is just metres from the sea.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beachgoers can walk up to the airport fence as planes take off.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Police said the 57-year-old woman had been holding on to the fence before the force of the jet engines threw her backwards, causing serious injury.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She was taken to hospital for treatment, but died later.[/FONT]

here's your sign

DSCF8104.jpg

awpitt

Main Streeter
I saw that last night. I have to admit that I've been there and done that... I'm sorry to hear of the lady who died. That's really sad. Maho Beach is amazing. Both of my boys loved it. The Sunset Bar & Grill is great too. They broadcast the ATC frequency so everyone knows when planes are on approach. They also post the schedule on a surfboard. These are pictures I took when I was there.

Attachments

• md1.jpg
    md1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 96
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
  • mb3.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 104
  • mb4.jpg
    mb4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 84

b23hqb

PREMO Member
All she had to do was hold on a little tighter. Sad, but not unexpected that this stuff happens. Lawsuit pending????

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Technically the jet blast didn't kill her. Her melon striking the ground is what did her in. Just like people being killed in the knockout game. Decades ago Ray Mancini's opponent Duk Koo Kim died after a fight. It wasn't a punch that took him out but when he fell over backwards and hit his head causing brain swelling.

luvmygdaughters

I saw that last night. I have to admit that I've been there and done that... I'm sorry to hear of the lady who died. That's really sad. Maho Beach is amazing. Both of my boys loved it. The Sunset Bar & Grill is great too. They broadcast the ATC frequency so everyone knows when planes are on approach. They also post the schedule on a surfboard. These are pictures I took when I was there.

Nope, that would be a little to close for comfort in my opinion. Not too mention the noise on take off's and landings.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'd seen several video clips on youtube showing people getting blasted around at that location. Pretty obviously known for it.

officeguy

Why not install some jet blast deflectors?

This is not an issue of unsuspecting pedestrians getting hurt. Everyone who stands there does so with the purpose of getting blasted with engine exhaust. If they installed a blast wall, it would count as an obstacle and require a shortening the runway. A fence on frangible post mounts doesn't count as an obstacle.