Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do bridges bother you?

Bridges are great when you are a passenger but hard to enjoy the view when you are driving.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Bridges are great when you are a passenger but hard to enjoy the view when you are driving.
    LOL one of those things you need to remind yourself about - watch the road, not the scenery. Same goes for driving up / down mountains. Spectacular views (particularly when there isn't a guardrail or a tree to block you view).

What bothers me about bridges, is the same thing that bothers whenever I drive. The blithering, oblivious, I don't give a damn about anyone but me, drivers.
    Their unpredictable nature scares the crap out of me.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    LOL one of those things you need to remind yourself about - watch the road, not the scenery. Same goes for driving up / down mountains. Spectacular views (particularly when there isn't a guardrail or a tree to block you view).

What bothers me about bridges, is the same thing that bothers whenever I drive. The blithering, oblivious, I don't give a damn about anyone but me, drivers.
    Their unpredictable nature scares the crap out of me.
    I really have to remind myself of that. I am mumbling "don't look away from the road." Of course when I'm the passenger, I say annoying things like "oh what a pretty boat."

And yes Bernie, everyday I see some idiot on a cell and worry they are going to travel towards me. EVERYDAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    So... you are the ONE person who drives the Thomas Johnson doing over 25MPH huh?

The entire TJ Bridge came to a standstill during the July 4th fireworks at Solomons, in spite of the electronic signs saying "No Stopping on the Bridge".
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    So... you are the ONE person who drives the Thomas Johnson doing over 25MPH huh?
    I seriously don't trust myself to look away from the road for a second. I would be one of those morons who caused the bridge to shut down as I decided to drive off of it.

Blog Entries
    I've been on a bridge that had some road work being done on it. The traffic for a stretch was 1 lane at a time. While we were on the span waiting our turn to cross I could not believe how much sway there was in the bridge. Driving over you don't notice it but standing still it was rocking and rolling.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    I've been on a bridge that had some road work being done on it. The traffic for a stretch was 1 lane at a time. While we were on the span waiting our turn to cross I could not believe how much sway there was in the bridge. Driving over you don't notice it but standing still it was rocking and rolling.
    Yes. They are designed to do that to avoid ripping apart like the Tacoma Narrows.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I'm not sure when it happened - but as I got older the fear became almost too much to handle. Usually I try to stare straight ahead and fight it, but sometimes it would be like sitting in a room full of growling crocodiles - the fear is just unstoppable.I typically grab the wheel as tight as possible and grit my teeth - and pray.

The Thomas Johnson bridge and the Harry Nice bridge don't scare me, but the Del Memorial and often, the Bay Bridge scare me out of my mind. For some reason, the last time the I went over the Bay Bridge - both ways - it didn't bother me. I guess winds and traffic conditions lead me to feel sometimes as if I am going to go off the side.
    I used to be that way on bridges.. always driving in the lane the furthest from the side.. Scared to death of heights. Then something happened, have no idea what, but it was like somebody flipped a switch. No longer afraid of heights, bridges don't bother me anymore. In fact now I aim for the lanes closest to the edge to catch the view.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Yes. They are designed to do that to avoid ripping apart like the Tacoma Narrows.
    I thought the Sway and undulation is what brought down the Narrows bridge? Made a little too elastic..
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Members who have read this thread: 116