Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do bridges bother you?

Blog Entries

Do bridges bother you?

I know a lot of people who are scared of going over bridges, especially over water. I like them - I love the view and it feels like freedom to me. Our travels have taken us over some of the most amazing bridges, so pretty and scenic. I especially love the way up high long ones.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I know a lot of people who are scared of going over bridges, especially over water. I like them - I love the view and it feels like freedom to me. Our travels have taken us over some of the most amazing bridges, so pretty and scenic. I especially love the way up high long ones.
    No they don't. But, the bridge from Calvert to St. Mary's scared me because I saw the underneath when on a boat one day. I wonder how many other bridges are structurally unsound. We have read over the years about bridges collapsing. After, what I saw under under Thomas Johnson bridge, I never went over it again. Whatever I thought I needed in St. Mary's, I found elsewhere.
    Last edited by littlelady; 07-17-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Blog Entries
    Not a fan of the bay bridge. In the RV any bridge that is high up and susceptible to high winds.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

One more thing. And, this brings up a question. We always hear about our gov both fed and local, are going to put our tax dollars into infrastructure and roads. So far haven't seen much of that. Sorry, to make your thread political, but everything is political these days. I am glad and quite jealous of how much of OUR country y'all are seeing. Not everyone can do what y'all are doing. Safe travels.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Not a fan of the bay bridge. In the RV any bridge that is high up and susceptible to high winds.
    Bust out west and drive your bus back and forth over the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge in Colorado, you will be cured or dead from a heart attach.
    When you look down you can see through the planks..
    I recommend doing it on a scooter. It's much better than driving a scooter on the grates on the Bay Bridge.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

I've had more problems going under Bridges in my life, with the height of the mast on my sailboat I have broken 2 vhf radio antennas off over the years.

Bridges only bother me when I'm near someone who is bothered by bridges.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Bust out west and drive your bus back and forth over the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge in Colorado, you will be cured or dead from a heart attach.

I walked across that in 1986

awesome view
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

I'm not sure when it happened - but as I got older the fear became almost too much to handle. Usually I try to stare straight ahead and fight it, but sometimes it would be like sitting in a room full of growling crocodiles - the fear is just unstoppable.I typically grab the wheel as tight as possible and grit my teeth - and pray.

The Thomas Johnson bridge and the Harry Nice bridge don't scare me, but the Del Memorial and often, the Bay Bridge scare me out of my mind. For some reason, the last time the I went over the Bay Bridge - both ways - it didn't bother me. I guess winds and traffic conditions lead me to feel sometimes as if I am going to go off the side.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post

I walked across that in 1986

awesome view
    It truly is spectacular, I went across it for the first time in 73 with my dad hanging out the window of his Impala and my mom steering from the passenger seat.
    My older sister and I sitting on the top of the rear seat with the top down.
    Been there many times since.

Members who have read this thread: 116