Do bridges bother you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know a lot of people who are scared of going over bridges, especially over water. I like them - I love the view and it feels like freedom to me. Our travels have taken us over some of the most amazing bridges, so pretty and scenic. I especially love the way up high long ones.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I know a lot of people who are scared of going over bridges, especially over water. I like them - I love the view and it feels like freedom to me. Our travels have taken us over some of the most amazing bridges, so pretty and scenic. I especially love the way up high long ones.

No they don't. But, the bridge from Calvert to St. Mary's scared me because I saw the underneath when on a boat one day. I wonder how many other bridges are structurally unsound. We have read over the years about bridges collapsing. After, what I saw under under Thomas Johnson bridge, I never went over it again. Whatever I thought I needed in St. Mary's, I found elsewhere.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not a fan of the bay bridge. In the RV any bridge that is high up and susceptible to high winds.

littlelady

God bless the USA
One more thing. And, this brings up a question. We always hear about our gov both fed and local, are going to put our tax dollars into infrastructure and roads. So far haven't seen much of that. Sorry, to make your thread political, but everything is political these days. I am glad and quite jealous of how much of OUR country y'all are seeing. Not everyone can do what y'all are doing. Safe travels.

black dog

Free America
Not a fan of the bay bridge. In the RV any bridge that is high up and susceptible to high winds.

Bust out west and drive your bus back and forth over the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge in Colorado, you will be cured or dead from a heart attach.
When you look down you can see through the planks..
I recommend doing it on a scooter. It's much better than driving a scooter on the grates on the Bay Bridge.

black dog

Free America

I've had more problems going under Bridges in my life, with the height of the mast on my sailboat I have broken 2 vhf radio antennas off over the years.

SamSpade

I'm not sure when it happened - but as I got older the fear became almost too much to handle. Usually I try to stare straight ahead and fight it, but sometimes it would be like sitting in a room full of growling crocodiles - the fear is just unstoppable.I typically grab the wheel as tight as possible and grit my teeth - and pray.

The Thomas Johnson bridge and the Harry Nice bridge don't scare me, but the Del Memorial and often, the Bay Bridge scare me out of my mind. For some reason, the last time the I went over the Bay Bridge - both ways - it didn't bother me. I guess winds and traffic conditions lead me to feel sometimes as if I am going to go off the side.

black dog

Free America
:yay:

I walked across that in 1986

awesome view

It truly is spectacular, I went across it for the first time in 73 with my dad hanging out the window of his Impala and my mom steering from the passenger seat.
My older sister and I sitting on the top of the rear seat with the top down.
Been there many times since.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Bust out west and drive your bus back and forth over the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge in Colorado, you will be cured or dead from a heart attach.
When you look down you can see through the planks..
I recommend doing it on a scooter. It's much better than driving a scooter on the grates on the Bay Bridge.

Been there, done that, back in the 70's when I lived in Colorado Springs. The bridge deck was wooden planks. At the time, it was the highest bridge in the world. I think that record was surpassed a few years ago.

Goldenhawk

Been there, done that, back in the 70's when I lived in Colorado Springs. The bridge deck was wooden planks. At the time, it was the highest bridge in the world. I think that record was surpassed a few years ago.

:yay:
I walked across that in 1986
awesome view
LOVED that bridge - did the same thing about the same time. Walking across, with a wood-plank surface so the passing single lane of cars bounced you up and down... and what a STEEP gorge! Here's a pic we took at the time:
royalgorge.jpg

PsyOps

Pixelated
Okay, this one might bother me.

[video=youtube;rRIrs8hQNv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRIrs8hQNv0[/video]

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
LOVED that bridge - did the same thing about the same time. Walking across, with a wood-plank surface so the passing single lane of cars bounced you up and down... and what a STEEP gorge! Here's a pic we took at the time:

Oh my gosh, how cool!

I guess my risk assessment takes into consideration how much suffering I'd have if this thing went awry and killed me. Something lingering, or that might maim you but not actually kill you, I'm terrified. But if this bridge snapped or you pitched over the side, you'd have about 3 seconds, then lights out. I used to be nervous on tunnels that go under rivers; then I realized that if a weak spot gave way, I'd never even know what hit me. That was strangely comforting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, this one might bother me.

That wouldn't be scary so much as disorienting. I imagine it would make you dizzy to cross, which is why people crawl. But it would be amazing to get to the middle, then stand there and take it all in.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm afraid of heights. Add to that the possibility; however remote; of plummeting into the water below, and I can't get across the bridge fast enough. I'm just glad I don't have to travel the TJ bridge at quitting time.

SamSpade

Oh my gosh, how cool!

I guess my risk assessment takes into consideration how much suffering I'd have if this thing went awry and killed me. Something lingering, or that might maim you but not actually kill you, I'm terrified. But if this bridge snapped or you pitched over the side, you'd have about 3 seconds, then lights out. I used to be nervous on tunnels that go under rivers; then I realized that if a weak spot gave way, I'd never even know what hit me. That was strangely comforting.

I still have very much the opposite feeling and feel similarly with tunnels with this proviso --

If I were in one of those really deep tunnels under a mountain - and it collapsed -

They would never even find my body. It would be permanently buried deep in a mountain.

Wishbone

Only the Old Saint Anthony Falls Bridge.