Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do bridges bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    I thought the Sway and undulation is what brought down the Narrows bridge? Made a little too elastic..
    If I remember, it was too stiff and didn't allow for wind, so when it went into oscillation it just ripped apart.
    The first Tacoma Narrows Bridge opened to traffic on July 1, 1940. Its main span collapsed into the Tacoma Narrows four months later on November 7, 1940, at 11:00 a.m. (Pacific time) as a result of aeroelastic flutter caused by a 42 mph (68 km/h) wind. The bridge collapse had lasting effects on science and engineering. In many undergraduate physics texts the event is presented as an example of elementary forced resonance, with the wind providing an external periodic frequency that matched the natural structural frequency, even though the real cause of the bridge's failure was aeroelastic flutter. A contributing factor was its solid sides, not allowing wind to pass through the bridge's deck. Thus, its design allowed the bridge to catch the wind and sway, which ultimately took it down.[2] Its failure also boosted research in the field of bridge aerodynamics and aeroelastics, fields which have influenced the designs of all the world's great long-span bridges built since 1940.
    Tall buildings are built to sway as well. Their bases are actually on rollers to allow the entire building to sway.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Deflection killed it,, to much up and down and when it twisted,,,, it had massive failure.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Deflection killed it,, to much up and down and when it twisted,,,, it had massive failure.
    Frequency resonance causing oscillation..

The video shows how incredibly flexible the bridge was...up to the point it failed.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Frequency resonance causing oscillation..

The video shows how incredibly flexible the bridge was...up to the point it failed.
    I agree, up and down is fine, right up until you add side to side movement...
    A bridge is not a jump rope..

They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    I've been on a bridge that had some road work being done on it. The traffic for a stretch was 1 lane at a time. While we were on the span waiting our turn to cross I could not believe how much sway there was in the bridge. Driving over you don't notice it but standing still it was rocking and rolling.
    When they were working on the Harry Nice bridge back in summer '86 we had to stop at the top a couple of times on our way home from work in Dahlgren. That joker was all over the place.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    When they were working on the Harry Nice bridge back in summer '86 we had to stop at the top a couple of times on our way home from work in Dahlgren. That joker was all over the place.
    That's the same one I felt swaying in the breeze. Not sure the year probably sometime around 10 years ago. I was coming from Maryland and had not yet reached the peak. We were there for several minutes. From what I remember I was glad to get off that thing. I knew it wouldn't collapse but it sure felt like it was trying it's best to fall in the river.
    You can't be a bully if you didn't throw the first punch

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Went over the Thomas Johnson today, there was a chunk out of the side barrier on the southbound upslope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    Went over the Thomas Johnson today, there was a chunk out of the side barrier on the southbound upslope.
    Take a boat ride under it and look up..

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Take a boat ride under it and look up..
    I already said that in Post #2.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I already said that in Post #2.
    With that in mind why was 4th grade the 3 hardest years of your life?

New State shirts are out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Yesterday, 12:47 AM

Members who have read this thread: 100