ISO Recommendations Master Bathroom Remodel

MR47930

Looking to have our Master Bathroom redone. Probably a complete gut job to include a walk in tile shower, new vanity, tile flooring etc.

Any recommendations on who would be right for the job?

officeguy

Looking to have our Master Bathroom redone. Probably a complete gut job to include a walk in tile shower, new vanity, tile flooring etc.

Any recommendations on who would be right for the job?

Recommend:
Williams and Son Newburg,MD

Don't recommend:
Southern Maryland Kitchen Bath Floors Califor, MD

Forkian

Recommend: You get at LEAST 4 estimates and do your own research

Don't recommend: You pick someone just because an anonymous person on somd.com threw a name out there

MR47930

Recommend: You get at LEAST 4 estimates and do your own research

Don't recommend: You pick someone just because an anonymous person on somd.com threw a name out there

Planned on doing the research. Was hoping that someone could provide good/bad experiences they had in the past. Thanks for contributing nothing to the conversation.

Freefaller

Tommy Vermillion

Cell # is (240) 412-7846

He's done work for me and two other family members. Does beautiful work.

officeguy

Do recommend - cast iron shower pan. :)

Absolutely.

The little mosaic tiles look great for a year or two.

Also:
Recommend:
- Name brand fixtures (not 'these are as good as Kohler' fixtures).

- name brand copper piping or PEX piping.

Don't recommend:
- black steel piping.

MR47930

Absolutely.

The little mosaic tiles look great for a year or two.

Also:
Recommend:
- Name brand fixtures (not 'these are as good as Kohler' fixtures).

- name brand copper piping or PEX piping.

Don't recommend:
- black steel piping.

I'm estimating i'll be out $10-$15k based on nothing more than an uneducated guess. Does that seem like ballpark based on your past experience?

Currently have a huge Jacuzzi that I would want to replace with a nice clawfoot tub and a fiberglass walk in shower surround that I want to tear out and have a nice tile walk in. Other than that it would just be tiling the floor and replacing the vainity, mirror and light fixture.

PeoplesElbow

I'm estimating i'll be out $10-$15k based on nothing more than an uneducated guess. Does that seem like ballpark based on your past experience?

Currently have a huge Jacuzzi that I would want to replace with a nice clawfoot tub and a fiberglass walk in shower surround that I want to tear out and have a nice tile walk in. Other than that it would just be tiling the floor and replacing the vainity, mirror and light fixture.

That guess is probably low, depends if you have them do all the finishing work such as trim/painting etc.

I had a bathroom done a few years back except I did all the trim work, painting, hanging mirror and this cut $3k off the price.

MR47930

That guess is probably low, depends if you have them do all the finishing work such as trim/painting etc.

I had a bathroom done a few years back except I did all the trim work, painting, hanging mirror and this cut $3k off the price.

I'd like to do as much as I can. I can do all of the demo, painting etc. We would ideally like tile wainscoting as well so trim wouldn't be necessary.

Clem72

Do recommend - cast iron shower pan. :)

Care to elaborate? I'm sure they are still made, but I can't say I have seen one for sale or installed in 20+ years. Iron is good for heat retention, so I get using them in a tub, but it's not going to buy you much in a shower pan except that the enamel will likely hold up better than acrylic or fiber glass.

If you think you need one for the weight, you don't. Properly installed a fiberglass pan will support a 500lb person (but you do need to set them in mud for extra support).

officeguy

Kohler makes enameled cast iron. No flex, doesn't scratch and just feels better under your feet. You are limited for sizes and drain placement.

MR47930

10-15k may be a bit tight. If you give the contractor the room stripped to the studs it may help.

That would be the plan. Once we get a layout/plan that we like I would rip everything out so they could start with a clean slate. Only thing that I foresee as a PITA is the Jacuzzi tub with tile surround. That's going to be a biatch to get out/cut up.