I KNOW why all the osprey babys are gone, just figured it out

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
_DSC0907 (2).jpg

We have some BAD Mutha Phucking Mallard hens invading SOMD....

Never have seen such a thing as hen obviously on eggs in an osprey nest. I say that, she's been there for a good 1.5 hours, no other reason right....

I'll now be watching and give daily updates, Pretty COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
LOL.

I've seen enough over the last three days to convince me that the Ospreys are being pushed out by the Bald Eagles. The warfare started in the spring but now we're seeing the eagles on total offense and all over the island. Never happened in my lifetime..

I just minutes ago watched the largest eagle I've ever seen swoop in and land on a branch about 40 feet directly over my head. Huge bird. They are chasing the ospreys now as much or more than the ospreys are chasing them. We've got two or three attacking our ospreys on a regular basis now..and I bet the osprey fledglings have all become eagle snacks, explaining why we see so few.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
LOL.

I've seen enough over the last three days to convince me that the Ospreys are being pushed out by the Bald Eagles. The warfare started in the spring but now we're seeing the eagles on total offense and all over the island. Never happened in my lifetime..

I just minutes ago watched the largest eagle I've ever seen swoop in and land on a branch about 40 feet directly over my head. Huge bird. They are chasing the ospreys now as much or more than the ospreys are chasing them. We've got two or three attacking our ospreys on a regular basis now..and I bet the osprey fledglings have all become eagle snacks, explaining why we see so few.

Agree, on our creek and on base the eagles are taking the offensive, saw a family of four eagles last couple days flying around, That was cool too.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
well she now has baby's !!! I am down there every day and i never noticed her before, she did blend in well while on them... She's not a wood duck, mallards build nest on GROUND 99.999% of time;-)))

1stGenSMIB

I have some friends on that dock (we race with them on occasion, so you probably know which boat) and I remember seeing that hen a month or so ago in that nest. Late for a brood of ducks, isn't it?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Three bald eagles (two mature adults and one younger bird) have "officially" taken over our osprey nesting tree after staying around all summer, nesting up in the acres of tall pines on our place. and raiding/harassing the ospreys constantly. We're sure the eagles got the osprey chicks soon after they hatched. Looks like we're going to be eagle country now.

IMG_0690.jpg

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
you need to climb up and place an eagle cam for us for next years mating season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
you need to climb up and place an eagle cam for us for next years mating season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually have a great view of the nest from one of our building roofs. I'll look in to that idea!