Premeditated murder only gets you 10 years in jail in MD

PeoplesElbow

This is f&^%ing embarrassing, only 10 years behind bars for being found guilty of premeditated murder?

Nyce gave Jefferson 30 years on the second-degree murder charge and 20 years for the unlawful use of a firearm in commission of a crime of violence with all but 10 years suspended. Sentences for counts three through five, including possession of a regulated firearm under 21; illegal possession of a firearm; and wear, carry and transport a handgun upon their person, were to run concurrent with the 40-year sentence.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0717/movietheatershootersentencedto40years.html

Or is this just really bad writing? Please say I misunderstood the really bad writing on thebaynet.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I read this as a 40 year sentence. 30 for 2nd degree murder & 10 years for unlawful use of firearm.

Nyce gave Jefferson 30 years on the second-degree murder charge and 20 years for the unlawful use of a firearm in commission of a crime of violence with all but 10 years suspended. Sentences for counts three through five, including possession of a regulated firearm under 21; illegal possession of a firearm; and wear, carry and transport a handgun upon their person, were to run concurrent with the 40-year sentence.

PeoplesElbow

I read this as a 40 year sentence. 30 for 2nd degree murder & 10 years for unlawful use of firearm.

What about the all but 10 years suspended? Why the hell would you suspend a sentence for a murderer? That is for someones first offense if it something like drunk and disorderly.

officeguy

What about the all but 10 years suspended? Why the hell would you suspend a sentence for a murderer? That is for someones first offense if it something like drunk and disorderly.

Well, it WAS his first murder.

What makes this so outrageous is the fact that this wasn't even a plea bargain. I understand that sometimes the state has to make a deal to get some kind of accountability, but this time they had a good case, took it to trial and the jury found him guilty. Why is it not possible to give him the max sentence on all counts ?

DannyMotorcycle

but seriously, Wasn't convicted of premeditated. Apparently he bought some weed from a guy who knew was an experienced robber, (smart right?)
and had a problem with in the past but no current "beef".. and supposedly the guy swung at him and he shot this pillar of society in the face.
sounds like it goes into the #DSAF file.

I'm guessing he didn't use a burner phone and used a phone that he regularly uses, to setup that meeting.. and so the jury would determine that he wasn't really setting him up to murder him (and if so, why not rob him too then?) and it probably did happen like he said. He didnt' seem to have a well concocted defense story that would suggest premeditation either.

Preparing for trouble and dealing with it, isnt' exactly premeditated murder in my book either.

This is maryland though, he may very well write a letter of reconsideration and be out in 2 years? I met a guy who had served only 2 years in jail, he got beat up at a party went back with a shot gun and killed the guy. (i hear his father was wealthy?)

Shouldn't we give him some credit for terminating the service of a multiple armed robber though? If he doesn't have any other charges of violence, maybe we should
release him and give him a gun and tell him if he can do a couple more exactly the same victim criteria, we'll look the other way as many as he wants actually.

Last name jefferson.. wonder where that originated.. also wonder if he comes from an absent parent and a neglectful one.. It is kind of unreasonable to expect a child (if) raised in a crime ridden environment practically abandoned by both parents to be intelligent, noble, gentlemanly. Should he be given some credit for only shooting a robber? (if that's the case).. on the other hand... like in the mob movies.. why take a chance?

BernieP

Resident PIA

Does that mean the "suspended time" he will be on supervised probation, or does it mean 10 years (minus timeout for good behavior) and he's free?

Restitution

Poor writing... are you surprised.

What it is meant to say is that he got 30 for the murder, 20 for the unlawful use of firearm and, of that 50 year total, he got 10 years knocked off. Then, the final 3 charges were thrown in as concurrent for a total of 40 years.

officeguy

He managed to catch an indictment for felony assault on a DOC employee before making it to trial on the murder. Sounds like a real asset to society.

DannyMotorcycle

so apparently now 2 young violent people are absent from society.. at least. i wonder about the other people that were with the shooter?

awpitt

Main Streeter
This is f&^%ing embarrassing, only 10 years behind bars for being found guilty of premeditated murder?

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0717/movietheatershootersentencedto40years.html

Or is this just really bad writing? Please say I misunderstood the really bad writing on thebaynet.

Did you read the quote you posted? It said he was convicted of second-degree murder. You said he was convicted of "premeditated" which is false because premeditation would be first-degree murder.

officeguy

Did you read the quote you posted? It said he was convicted of second-degree murder. You said he was convicted of "premeditated" which is false because premeditation would be first-degree murder.

He was charged with first degree but the jury decided on the lesser included 2nd degree. He carried a gun to a drug deal, he certainly planned to kill someone if they interfered in his business.

Clem72

He carried a gun to a drug deal, he certainly planned to kill someone if they interfered in his business.

As said before, being prepared is not the same as intent. Or do you believe every cop intends to kill someone every day. That people in open carry states intend to kill someone.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
He had a promising career ahead of him.

Selling weed?

What kind of career?

Career criminal?

People say the stoooooopidest things.​

officeguy

As said before, being prepared is not the same as intent. Or do you believe every cop intends to kill someone every day. That people in open carry states intend to kill someone.

The cop presumably doesn't commit felonies for a living.

awpitt

Main Streeter
He was charged with first degree but the jury decided on the lesser included 2nd degree. He carried a gun to a drug deal, he certainly planned to kill someone if they interfered in his business.

I'm not saying this guy is a saint. By no means. I was just stating the facts. He may have been charged with 1st degree but what matters is what is was convicted of, which was 2nd degree.