Deuteronomy 18 The devil made me do it

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 18:9 When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the Lord your God.​

The commentary this morning is from bibletrack.org.

You will recall that it was their heathen practices for which God allowed the Canaanites to be driven out of the land in the first place according to Deuteronomy 9:4 , "Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee." So, Israelites, you had better make DEAD sure none of those "detestable" heathen practices of worship rub off! It is worth noting that the practices of witchcraft are front and center in this section. Israel was to have nothing to do with witchcraft.

I think it is important to point out that, while these heathen nations were not under the Law of Moses, their practices of worship were such an abomination that God caused them to be driven out of their land. Do we see an era-spanning principle here? As a matter of fact, the wickedness of the nations in Canaan is also cited as the reason they had to be displaced in Leviticus 18:27-28 and again in Leviticus 20:23. Can it possibly be the case that God may orchestrate the demise of nations today based upon abominable practices toward the one true God?

This reminds me a something that happened to me one night many many years ago.... a friend of mine brought out a ouija board. She set up the "game" lit a candle and shut off the lights and that's when things got way too serious. Just at that very moment a wind came up, blew open the casement windows and blew out the candle. At just that very moment, another friend got home and flicked on the light.... it was too surreal. It affected everyone so much.... when the excitement calmed, we put away the "game" and never pulled it out again.

I think, maybe, we need a little diversion this morning.

[video=youtube;0SLifea3NHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLifea3NHQ[/video]

:coffee: