Yet Another Wreck!!!

Restitution

Anyone have more info on the wreck at NB 235 and Wildewood (by the Aldis) that occurred yesterday around 7pm?

It still boggles my mind how, even in a controlled intersection, these idiots still manage to get into wrecks! Still wonder how my insurance isn't $500+ per month because of locality!!!

Peepaw95

Do the police even give tickets to the people that are at fault any more? I know when I was young they did, too long ago, but I have not heard of it happening lately. Maybe dipping into their pocketbooks will be incentive for them to follow the rules.

glhs837

Power with Control
Do the police even give tickets to the people that are at fault any more? I know when I was young they did, too long ago, but I have not heard of it happening lately. Maybe dipping into their pocketbooks will be incentive for them to follow the rules.

I think unless there are injuries, they do not.

buddscreek

before I retired policy was, if cars had to be towed, injuries or property damage a report was written and citation issued. that was many years ago.

I had an accident on 235 by the CVS, when that light was first put up. I zoned out, forgot it was there, and ran it, hitting someone who was crossing onto Buck Hewitt. Significant damage to both vehicles. Clearly my fault and a cite-able offense. Police took a report but never wrote any tickets or summons.

Goldenhawk

I guess they figure that the accident itself is a pretty good punishment of the guilty party. Unless it's a felony issue that would result in jail time, what happens? The perp ends up merely paying the state a fine, which I'll bet is more than offset by court costs and other administrative fees processing the paperwork. So I doubt the state makes money from most fines. Rather, the whole point of fines is to impact the payee financially, and thereby encourage or discourage certain behaviors. Well, anyone who just did something that resulted in an accident clearly has a significant personal cost to pay, whether it's medical or insurance premiums or repair bills. So I don't think that adding on a ticket and associated fines would really do much to change the situation.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I first moved to SOMD in 1998 I was shocked by the number of accidents down this way. A few fatalities, most involving young drivers. 2 that stand out are the drag racers from Patuxent high school and a wreck on 235 and there were crosses placed on the road side. 3 if I recall correctly.

hitchicken

What I've noted is the outside left turning lane coming down from the North on 235 headed for Aldi's puts you in an almost head-on collision path with a car in the outside lane turning left onto Wildwood Parkway coming up from the South on 235. There is very little clearance for either car. This is a very badly designed situation.

Mavis

We were heading north bound just before the accident happened. A car in the left lane decided without warning, that it needed to be in the turning lane for Aldi and cut right across in front of us, closely missing a car already in the turning lane. We passed comment about the idiot driving and the reason so many accidents happen. Fifteen minutes later heading South we passed the wreckage, not sure if there was any connection between the two incidents.

PeoplesElbow

We were heading north bound just before the accident happened. A car in the left lane decided without warning, that it needed to be in the turning lane for Aldi and cut right across in front of us, closely missing a car already in the turning lane. We passed comment about the idiot driving and the reason so many accidents happen. Fifteen minutes later heading South we passed the wreckage, not sure if there was any connection between the two incidents.

I see stuff like this all the time, someone deciding to change multiple lanes at once. Maybe I drive like an old man but I believe you should change one lane at a time, move one lane over, look more another lane over etc.

glhs837

Power with Control
I see stuff like this all the time, someone deciding to change multiple lanes at once. Maybe I drive like an old man but I believe you should change one lane at a time, move one lane over, look more another lane over etc.

Then driving like an old man is cool. Assuming you don't take a million years between each change :) And I think engineering that encourages such changes should be prohibited.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
What I've noted is the outside left turning lane coming down from the North on 235 headed for Aldi's puts you in an almost head-on collision path with a car in the outside lane turning left onto Wildwood Parkway coming up from the South on 235. There is very little clearance for either car. This is a very badly designed situation.

Yes, I noticed that too.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Anyone have more info on the wreck at NB 235 and Wildewood (by the Aldis) that occurred yesterday around 7pm?

It still boggles my mind how, even in a controlled intersection, these idiots still manage to get into wrecks! Still wonder how my insurance isn't $500+ per month because of locality!!!

The notion that this sort of thing is exclusive to our area is misguided. I've lived all over the country and this stuff happens everywhere. Especially in communities where there are a lot of transient personnel such as military communities where there is a concentration of people living there who came from different parts of the country.

Restitution

The notion that this sort of thing is exclusive to our area is misguided. I've lived all over the country and this stuff happens everywhere. Especially in communities where there are a lot of transient personnel such as military communities where there is a concentration of people living there who came from different parts of the country.

:bs:

I have lived in a dozen states and overseas. I have lived in or around major cities and small towns. I can say... beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there are more accidents in this area then ANYWHERE I have lived (per capita of course)

I can also say that this area has THEE most poorly designed traffic flow and commuter system that I have ever seen.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I have lived in a dozen states and overseas. I have lived in or around major cities and small towns. I can say... beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there are more accidents in this area then ANYWHERE I have lived (per capita of course)

I can also say that this area has THEE most poorly designed traffic flow and commuter system that I have ever seen.

I agree wholeheartedly, but you know what they say about opinions...

glhs837

Power with Control

I offer thee a veritable sea of data, go forth and catch some information :)

https://cdan.nhtsa.gov/SASStoredProcess/guest

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter

No, sorry. Doesn't fly. You're not looking at this with any objectivity.