Guess what happens when you add work requirements to welfare.

BOP

About what you'd expect.

H/t Ace of Spades HQ

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...-states-where-food-stamp-recipients-have-work

Alabama began 2017 by requiring able-bodied adults without children in 13 counties to either find a job or participate in work training as a condition for continuing to receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

According to AL.com, the number of those recipients declined from 5,538 to 831 between Jan. 1 and the beginning of May – an 85 percent drop.

Similar changes were implemented in select counties in Georgia and by the end of the first three months, the number of adults receiving benefits in three participating counties dropped 58 percent, according to the Georgia Public Policy Foundation.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that in 21 additional counties that restored the work requirement, there was a 62 percent drop in SNAP participants.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
About what you'd expect.

in the 1970's California when Reagan ran the state, put a requirement in place - send a 3x5 post card in every month to the welfare office

there was a significant drop in people receiving benefits
[or so the story goes]

hotbikermama40

About what you'd expect.

H/t Ace of Spades HQ

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...-states-where-food-stamp-recipients-have-work

Alabama began 2017 by requiring able-bodied adults without children in 13 counties to either find a job or participate in work training as a condition for continuing to receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

According to AL.com, the number of those recipients declined from 5,538 to 831 between Jan. 1 and the beginning of May – an 85 percent drop.

Similar changes were implemented in select counties in Georgia and by the end of the first three months, the number of adults receiving benefits in three participating counties dropped 58 percent, according to the Georgia Public Policy Foundation.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that in 21 additional counties that restored the work requirement, there was a 62 percent drop in SNAP participants.

But, but...it might make a person feel bad, or ashamed, if we point out that they're not working!!!

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
When Clinton signed the Workfare requirement, the same phenomenon occurred. Based on that empiric evidence, the Donks have never voluntarily allowed a work-requirement to live in any new welfare bill.

Hijinx

Of all those people who stopped getting support, there is no report of any of them starving to death.

PeoplesElbow

I've always thought there should be some sort of community service requirement, then this community service could become work experience and give a reference for a job.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I've always thought there should be some sort of community service requirement, then this community service could become work experience and give a reference for a job.

The answers are easy......but unfortunately, they truly don't want to work.

I'm finding it pretty enjoyable myself......just sayin'

PJay

Of all those people who stopped getting support, there is no report of any of them starving to death.

Nope. A lot play the system. We've found that out hiring men to work...it's a mess..they want cash only, and they will only work when they want. Goes on and on. Anyway, they know that gov. check is coming so, they are not worried about working a full hard days work.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A business owner friend was excited about a government program to hire and train women to get them off welfare. The government had financial incentives for the business owner.

She asked me why I didn't take advantage of this wonderful program?

She quickly had her answer and figured out you cannot make people work, you cannot make people WANT to work and you cannot depend on them to even show up. In addition, she had to take a couple of them to court for theft.