How do these things get started?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Supposedly Americans are rude and boorish when traveling abroad. My personal experience is that it doesn't get any more rude than Asians who come here, Koreans and Vietnamese in particular, and more specifically Korean and Vietnamese women, and I find it hard to believe they're only churlish here and no other country where they travel.

Supposedly Americans are disgusting with their food habits and the rest of the world shudders at what we eat. (And yet Canada has poutine and nobody says a word about them.)

Lack of culture and sophomoric entertainment choices. (Hello Japan??)

Americans are racist. (No, bebe, that's Eastern Europe and Asia you're thinking of.)

Americans are arrogant. (Um, more arrogant than Middle Eastern men??)

We are environmentally ignorant. (Stand up, China, let everyone see you.)

How do these stereotypes persist, given the evidence that they're not true? Or even if they are true, Americans aren't even close to the biggest offenders?

Wishbone

I'll say it. Poutine is disgusting. Ruined perfectly "acceptable" fries.

You are near the perfect argument against the "Canadians are nice" rumors too... Quebec.

stgislander

PREMO Member
With the Poutine... is it the cheese curd, gravy, or combination of the two that makes it bad?

Christy

b*tch rocket
I think most countries feel this way about us because we're the new kid on the block so to speak, and we often act superior. We don't always embrace their centuries old customs and courtesies. I have no problem with this, because we are superior. :shrug: We have done more in our short time on this planet than they have.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's all three combined. Like those revolting KFC bowl things that have everything in them. Barf.

I do know that french fries with brown gravy was a huge thing in some if the local waterfront restaurants in Baltimore that I frequented back in the late 80's. The very first time I had them was at Connolly's Restaurant on Pratt Street.

Clem72

I think most countries feel this way about us because we're the new kid on the block so to speak, and we often act superior. We don't always embrace their centuries old customs and courtesies. I have no problem with this, because we are superior. :shrug: We have done more in our short time on this planet than they have.

I think it's more basic than that. Before this current wave of Asian tourists, we were the last big "new rich" country whose middle class could afford to travel the world. And as soon as we did, we stuck out (as all new "foreigners" do) and as a group we got stuck with the stereotypes that are honestly true of just about every culture.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do know that french fries with brown gravy was a huge thing in some if the local waterfront restaurants in Baltimore that I frequented back in the late 80's.

Right, and look at Baltimore now. See what fries and gravy do to communities?