California College Chancellor Wants To Abolish Algebra Requirement, Calls It A ‘Civil Rights Issue’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
California College Chancellor Wants To Abolish Algebra Requirement, Calls It A ‘Civil Rights Issue’

Eloy Ortiz Oakley, chancellor of California Community Colleges, made the argument while speaking with NPR. He pegged algebraas overly burdensome due to the disproportionate rate at which it prevents students from graduating from community colleges; nearly 50 percent of community college students do not complete their math requirement.

“This is a civil rights issue, but this is also something that plagues all Americans — particularly low-income Americans,” said Oakley. “If you think about all the underemployed or unemployed Americans in this country who cannot connect to a job in this economy — which is unforgiving of those students who don’t have a credential — the biggest barrier for them is this algebra requirement. It’s what has kept them from achieving a credential.”

NPR suggested that Oakley was trying to improve the California community college graduation rate, pointing out that less than half of the system’s students transfer to a four-year college or obtain an associate’s degree from the community college within six years. But the chancellor denied this implication.

as one who hated Algebra in High School and never want to go to college ......

if a student is enrolled in a NON STEM Program why should they have to complete an Algebra Class [or course]
- standard math or maybe [like I did in High School]

Consumer Math
- teach basic interest - savings and loans,
- balancing a check book
- figuring cost per unit in a grocery store - If I buy 10 oz bottle of ABC for X and a 20 oz bottle of ABC for Y which is a better bargin

Vocational Math - Teach reading a Ruler
- Fractions - converting Fractions to decimal
- some basic Geometry you might use in framing a wall
- The Pythagorean Theorem - so you can figure the unknown side of a triangle

I would not frame the argument as racial ... now you are saying people of color are too ignorant to learn

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
now you are saying people of color are too ignorant to learn

The "liberals" and "progressives" have been saying that for years. Not only are people of color unable to learn, but according the the Left they also cannot navigate the complexity of getting a photo ID.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The "liberals" and "progressives" have been saying that for years. Not only are people of color unable to learn, but according the the Left they also cannot navigate the complexity of getting a photo ID.

ah yes, how true .... you need us to tell you how to live, what is fair, what rich white's owe you

black dog

Free America

if a student is enrolled in a NON STEM Program why should they have to complete an Algebra Class [or course]

Consumer Math
- balancing a check book
- figuring cost per unit in a grocery store - If I buy 10 oz bottle of ABC for X and a 20 oz bottle of ABC for Y which is a better bargin

I would not frame the argument as racial ... now you are saying people of color are too ignorant to learn

It amazes my son how much algabra I needed to know just to be a dumbass elevator mechanic, much less than the math a framing carpenter uses for cutting rafters and running stairs. I believe just learning to use a ruler is alittle easier to use than a framing square.
I'm amazed at how much of the public can't even read 1/4"s on a tape measure much less add simple fractions together, God forbid figure out a common denominator..

hotbikermama40

It amazes my son how much algabra I needed to know just to be a dumbass elevator mechanic, much less than the math a framing carpenter uses for cutting rafters and running stairs. I believe just learning to use a ruler is alittle easier to use than a framing square.
I'm amazed at how much of the public can't even read 1/4"s on a tape measure much less add simple fractions together, God forbid figure out a common denominator..

But going with the agenda that the government will take care of me and make sure I'm okay, I don't NEED to worry my pretty li'l ole head 'bout that sh*t

Midnightrider

Consumer Math
- balancing a check book

Good work proving that there are stupid white people too.

But seriously, if you can't pass community college level algebra they shouldn't give you a degree, even an AA. I know it's not easy for some people, but it's one class and if you are struggling you can get a tutor. Not to mention many people could test out of algebra in 8th grade.

Rommey

Just look how many can't make change at MickyD's even when the register tells them the amount.

Midnightrider

If you are going to link to it you should read it. The NPR interviewer set that question up:

NPR's question:

Bob Moses , the civil rights activist, started the Algebra Project, teaching concepts of algebra to black students in the South. He saw the teaching of math as a continuation of the civil rights struggle.

Rates of failure in algebra are higher for minority groups than they are for white students. Why do you think that is? Do you think a different curriculum would have less disparate results by ethnic or racial group?

Anti algebra guy's answer:

First of all, we've seen in the data from many of the pilots across the country that are using alternative math pathways — that are just as rigorous as an algebra course — we've seen much greater success for students because many of these students can relate to these different kinds of math depending on which program of study they're in. They can see how it works in their daily life and how it's going to work in their career.

The second thing I'd say is yes, this is a civil rights issue, but this is also something that plagues all Americans — particularly low-income Americans. If you think about all the underemployed or unemployed Americans in this country who cannot connect to a job in this economy — which is unforgiving of those students who don't have a credential — the biggest barrier for them is this algebra requirement. It's what has kept them from achieving a credential.

Notice he drove the point back to low income despite NPR pushing it to racism.

Anyway, there is no reason to remove the algebra requirement from attaining a degree. If people learn differently, teach them differently.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If you are going to link to it you should read it. The NPR interviewer set that question up:

Notice he drove the point back to low income despite NPR pushing it to racism.

Anyway, there is no reason to remove the algebra requirement from attaining a degree. If people learn differently, teach them differently.

I listened to the idiot on the radio. It's one of those miracles NPR performs every day.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It amazes my son how much algebra I needed to know just to be a dumbass elevator mechanic ....

as some who worked the trades for yrs I used a tape measure plenty .... [Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter]

only when I got into 4 wheel drives and started having to compensate for increased tire size changing the vehicles final drive ratio
or low crawl ratios ... speed vs rpm when swapping manual gear boxes
did I finally have a use for Algebra

rpm x tire diameter
-----------------------------------------------
Trans Ratio x Transfer Case x Rear Ratio x 336

even then I put the formula in a Spreadsheet and made a table

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But seriously, if you can't pass community college level algebra they shouldn't give you a degree, even an AA. I know it's not easy for some people, but it's one class and if you are struggling you can get a tutor. Not to mention many people could test out of algebra in 8th grade.

that is arrogant of you ....... not all degrees require advanced math

SamSpade

I still recall the cashier in high school I worked with who was told that after Christmas to sell all toys at 33% off.

So she sold all the 9.99 toys for 3.33.
We sold out quickly.

Restitution

If people learn differently, teach them differently.

This is definitely the way to go. Because, ya' know..... the REAL WORLD makes adjustments for everyone so everybody can get a trophy.... amiright?

There are company leaders, and there are those who clean the toilets. Plenty of both are needed ya' know.... :shrug:

Last edited: