Greetings from Montreal!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our little apartment is cute and clean and not rustic! Yay! And well located. We're in a cute neighborhood that looks like student housing surrounding a university, about two blocks from the metro stop.

When they tell you that Montreal is English speaking, that is a damn lie. The folks may speak it, but their signs and roads and everything else are in French and most of the time French only. I'll have to dust off my rusty skillz...

Tonight we went across the street to - wait for it - a Mexican restaurant. The menu was in French. Our Mexican host and his young waiter spoke Spanish, French, and English. (I can order a drink, call for the check, and inquire about the restroom in all three languages, so I'm good to go.) They greeted customers with "Boujour!" We can't even get our Mexican immigrants to speak English, and Canada has theirs speaking TWO extra languages. Damn show offs.

The chow was like Mexico, not like US Mexican restaurants. Proper "street" tacos, not Ortega hard shells, with chopped veggies and shredded meat. The posole was super hearty and garnished with radishes, onions, and shredded cabbage. Oh, and the margarita was killer.

The drive here was beautiful, but somewhat harrowing because we lost GPS mapping at the border and had to kick it old school with a paper map. Our phones blipped out as well, so no hope there. Seeing a red warning sign and sending my brain back 32 years to decipher it was fun.

Kilometers per hour, not miles. The GPS was still tracking our speed, so a simple switch to kph made us not go 100mph on the autoroute. "Why are all these other cars going so slow??"

AND I am currently the proud possessor of $100 CAD. Admire it while it lasts because we are just a few blocks from what is supposed to be an amazing European style marketplace and it is a lie that they widely accept US money in Montreal. The places that do accept $$ hose you hard on the exchange rate.

So far we have a good impression.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we went to Marche Atwater, which is an enormous combination farmers market and specialty food shops complex, including street food vendors. It is - ready? - open 7 DAYS A WEEK!!! Farm fresh produce and baked goods 7 days a week, people!!! This seems very European to me, although I've never been to Europe (but I done seen pitchers of it), and now I want to go to the marche every morning to get ingredients for our dinner that evening, like Miss Clavel.

We had paella for lunch (building on our Latino foodie tour (so far) of Montreal:
DSCN4451.JPG
Roule Ma Poule translates to "Roll My Hen"

The produce stalls are like works of art. Everything is presented to make it look it's most appetizing:
DSCN4452.JPG

I managed to not purchase the fruit I buy but never eat, but I couldn't resist the glorious vegetables:
DSCN4453.JPG
Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, so un ragout de legumes avec poulet roti sounded like something that needs to happen. Food just sounds more delicious in French, doesn't it?

I'm uncomfortable speaking French, even though I have a bit of the language left over from high school. Today it occurred to me why:

You know those people who drop French words and expressions into conversation? Don't they sound pretentious as hell? Yeah, I don't want to be that douche <---except for that French word - I use that one all the time. Plus it's almost impossible to speak French without doing it with a French accent, and now you're super duper pretentious. :loser: I'm sure this will pass over the next few days...or not. I read French much better than I speak it anyway, and I don't understand spoken French at all. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This evening we went to our local metro station to pick up a map. The map was *just* the two trains that go through that stop, not the whole damn confusing system, and the train platforms are clearly labeled so you cannot possibly get on the wrong train. Tomorrow we can jump on and go to RÉSO (Montreal's underground city) with confidence. :yay: I appreciate Montreal's thoughtfulness in making their metro easy for tourists to use.

Afterward we walked to dinner at New System BBQ - Monello found it yesterday. He was reading the menu posting and it said "spaghetti smoked meat". What??? :yum: It was not a BBQ place, but a gritty diner in a less desirable area, with a decidedly blue collar clientele and probably gets a lot of late night drunkards. For $31 CAD ($25 USD) Monello had a smoked meat sandwich with an enormous pile of amazing fries and coleslaw that was dressed with oil & vinegar instead of mayo, and I had a huge delicious plateful of spaghetti topped with meat sauce and then topped with chopped smoked meat. (Smoked meat is very similar to thick cut pastrami, like if you made it yourself instead of getting it sliced at the deli.)

The portions were hyooooge. My spaghetti will be two more meals for me, and Monello brought home half his sandwich and a pile of the fries. On top of that, we were supposed to get soup, which we declined, and the price of the meals also included dessert (chocolate cake for Monello, rice pudding for me), and coffee. The rice pudding was light and fresh, milky instead of puddingy. Yum. It was a chit ton of food for what we paid.

As entertainment, one of the delivery drivers came back and started cussing one of the cooks out in English - "#### you, ####ing bastard, I'll knock your ####ing head in!" - because he'd given him the wrong order. This went on for several minutes, and the driver wasn't even reprimanded. He went unassisted to the back to cool off, came back and cussed some more, then he was really over it. Nobody was particularly disturbed by this fit of temper, and the cook didn't appear to be frightened or even feel threatened. Dinner and a show! Yay!

So we've had a great first full day. I was apprehensive because, honestly, I'm one of those who only likes my own country. I'm comfortable roaming around the US because I know what things are and I speak the language. Adventurous, but not really. I wasn't sure what to expect in Montreal, and so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It rained yesterday, so we did laundry and geezed. Today we took the metro to underground Montreal, also known as La Ville Souterraine, more commonly known as RESO (which comes from the French reseau, meaning "network").

It's basically a bunch of shopping malls and food courts connected by tunnels. It's ENORMOUS and ridiculous. I had some things to shop for so that was cool, but unless you're a person who shops for recreation you could probably skip it. I did find the purse I had in mind, leather, lots of compartments, but casual and slouchy to go with my shorts and tank tops, for $41 CAD ($33 USD). We had lunch in one of the food courts - Lebanese for Monello, quiche and salads for me (again with the enormous portions and each a meal for two - how is it that Canadians aren't crazy fat??).

The metro is super easy to use, even for an American who isn't familiar with subway systems. Nicely maintained and clean, like everything else in Montreal, no graffiti or scuzzy people panhandling. There appears to be enough trains to accommodate the population because we left downtown at rush hour, our stop was also the transfer stop, and it wasn't terribly crowded. Trains also run every 5 mins or so during rush, so that helps.

We walked around downtown and then stopped for a drink at an Irish pub, where our delightful server brought us each a shot of maple whiskey on the house ("Bienvenue a Montreal!"), and she took a shot with us. I thought it was cool that she could do that without getting fired or thrown in jail. The whiskey was super smooth and meant to be taken neat - you wouldn't want to dilute it with ice or anything because it has a very delicate flavor.

Also, the cool kids don't say "bonjour" in informal settings - they say "salut" (which is like "aloha" in that it means hi and bye). Not that I understand a damn thing any of them say to me. I can read French and throw out a couple of phrases; I cannot understand the spoken language. Yet. :really: The good news is that the second I get that deer in the headlights look, most of the people I interact with switch to English. :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Atwater Market. Marche Atwater for you bilingual types. Since we are eating and drinking people, these are the places we head to for some of our entertainment.

DSCN4522.jpg

DSCN4523.jpg

DSCN4450.jpg

DSCN4449.jpg

DSCN4456.jpg

Someone must have told them we were coming.
DSCN4457.jpg