Deuteronomy 20 Going to Holy War

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 20:1 When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you. 2 When you are about to go into battle, the priest shall come forward and address the army. 3 He shall say: “Hear, Israel: Today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them. 4 For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.”​

5 The officers shall say to the army: “Has anyone built a new house and not yet begun to live in it? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else may begin to live in it. 6 Has anyone planted a vineyard and not begun to enjoy it? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else enjoy it. 7 Has anyone become pledged to a woman and not married her? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else marry her.” 8 Then the officers shall add, “Is anyone afraid or fainthearted? Let him go home so that his fellow soldiers will not become disheartened too.” 9 When the officers have finished speaking to the army, they shall appoint commanders over it.​

This is from the easy English site.

The Israelites would be afraid of chariots (carts with two wheels that men use in war) and horses. They did not have any chariots until Solomon was king. The priest would speak to the army and he would encourage the men. The priest would remind the army that God was with them. They should not be afraid. The law in Deuteronomy was very kind to Israelites. Men with a new house, a new field of grapes or a new wife did not have to fight. When people agreed to marry, it was a serious promise for them. This decision was as definite as the actual marriage. Usually the man had paid the bride’s father some money before the wedding. Before people began to live in a new house, they would say a special prayer to God.​

This is from bibletrack.org.

Let's talk about going to battle. Never mind the fact that the enemy has you out numbered; God will deliver them into your hands. Notice the careful selection of troops to fight Israel's battles in these verses. "Sir! I just realized I forgot to dedicate my house before I came out here to the battlefield. May I be excused?" "Sure son; take off!" the general replies. Another says he's betrothed (more than engaged, but less than married) to a woman and another says he's working on his vineyard. "You're all excused!" the general replies. Then one guy pops up and says, "Got no house, got no vineyard, got no wife - I'm just scaaaaaared!" He also gets to go home; what an understanding army - that Hebrew army. WHERE WE'RE GOING AND WHAT WE'RE GONNA DO TAKES DEDICATION! Thus, all the fighting men in the Hebrew army were to be men who were there willingly and without hesitation. Incidentally, Gideon pared his fighting force down from 32,000 to 10,000 by encouraging those who were fearful of battle to go home in Judges 7.​

God doesn't really need humans to go to war. God created the Universe all by Himself. He certainly doesn't need a human's assistance. He wiped out Sodom and Gomorrah all by himself.... while he had his angels helping Lot and Lot's family escape. God doesn't really need humans to go to war. He wiped out the Egyptian Army using water. God only wants to use humans who want to work on His Plan. God only wants wholehearted volunteers.

:coffee: