Did you have a big wedding?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My cousin just had a monster of a wedding. I don't even want to think what that soiree set them back, but his wife is one of those who was going to have a big fancy wedding, the end. (Don't get me wrong, she's very sweet and not Bridezilla.)

The first time around I was about a month pregnant and we were planning on a quiet wedding until his father informed me (!) that we would slink around and not call attention to our sinful disgusting selves. For a split second I considered putting together something to rub in his face, but we went along with the original plan anyway.

The second time, we were discussing various celebration possibilities, then he pulled out his previous wedding video. His bride did not look like she was having fun, which reminded me that not only would I be trying to manage the wedding, but wrangling four kids and packs of relatives as well. No thank you. We flew to Jamaica and got married with low stress, then had a huge open house a few weeks later.

I was never one of those little girls who dreamed of her wedding day, so I never felt I was missing much by not having a proper ceremony, dress, and bash.

How about you?

Small wedding, backyard reception under a tent with catered food. Music was my (now ex) wife and her cousin playing accordions. I think the whole thing was about $3k.

Considering how things turned out, glad I didn't drop a bundle on it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
First wedding was a pretty big to-do. 200+/- guests. Good time was had by all!

Second wedding? Hasn't happened. If it ever does happen, I'm thinking small, then a big after party.

luvmygdaughters

1st wedding, we eloped. 2nd wedding we went to the courthouse and one of my daughters was a witness. That was it. Never really wanted a big, schmancy, fancy wedding. 1st wedding lasted 8 years, 2nd...well...we'll see, so far, so good!

We invited 400 and just over 375 attended. It was catered by Mick's Quail Inn of La Plata. We put less money into flashy decorations or hall (held it at Holy Angels Church hall in 7th district) so that we could invite everyone we wanted there for our day. Open bar with hard liquor and mixers and kegs of beer. When we floated the 10th keg, they all passed the hat and ran out and bought cases.

Kevin Brown (miss him! :frown:) was our DJ and he was enjoying the party just as much as the rest of us... everyone passed the hat and kept throwing money at him to keep on playing and he did hours past what was to be the end time. 26 years later and still enjoy the memories and have no regrets.

PeoplesElbow

Everyone I know that had a big wedding has gotten divorced, they enjoy the idea of having a big wedding more than the idea of being married.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have worked in the Catholic Church for years. One of my favorite Priests has always said "The bigger the wedding, the shorter the marriage". It's more about the individual than the individual commitment. Marriage is not about a wedding it about the relationship of two people.....just sayin'.

BTW.....a little over a 100. U of M College Park.....1977....still married

Last edited:
Funny, but my then fiance said inviting all of our friends and family was the one opportunity in our lifetime for all of our friends and family to stop what the were doing to acknowledge the love we have for each other...and they did. We had a wonderful time.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
175 to 200 people in Holy Angels 21 years ago. Good times and to this day I remember seeing her come down the aisle and Dot Banagan telling me that there is no way I can go back on my vows because I said them loud enough for them to hear me down in Ridge.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Courthouse with about 25 people. We then hightailed it over to Salsa's for a late lunch. Spent under $300 for everything.

And I don't know why I picked Salsa's since I really don't like Mexican food. :/

I regret nothing about that day.

"For richer and more richer", right Kwillia? :roflmao:

frequentflier

happy to be living
First marriage for both of us; we were both in our forties. No family near by. Went to Las Vegas and sent everyone important in our lives a pre written announcement letter and mailed them from Vegas. (we lived in southern CA at the time so we went to Nevada frequently)

Courthouse with about 25 people. We then hightailed it over to Salsa's for a late lunch. Spent under $300 for everything.

And I don't know why I picked Salsa's since I really don't like Mexican food. :/

I regret nothing about that day.

"For richer and more richer", right Kwillia? :roflmao:

I stood on the bride's side! :smoochy: Still remember those CFM heels!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Courthouse and then to Bert's for lunch as we headed to Scanton, PA for our weekend honeymoon. Got married on Friday and back to work Monday. 20 years later and still married. Plus we only dated three months so nobody expected us to get married so soon (and no we weren't pregnant. That didn't happen until almost four years later).

SamSpade

Small wedding. Since we had to pay for it ourselves, we just didn't have the money for anything big.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
About 15 people - immediate family - in attendance. Ceremony conducted on the side of a hiking trail about 100 yards from Longmire Lodge, up on Mt. Rainier. Ceremony lasted less than 10 minutes and then it was time to enjoy an afternoon luncheon in Longmire's famous restaurant.

black dog

Free America
Just the two of us the first marriage, Rockville Courthouse, The second about 120 guests behind my home on the Magothy. It was only a couple of grand, I paid.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
1977 church wedding at our church, reception at church with family and church family - about 200 people. I guess it was big people-wise but cost was very affordable, food was great, and nobody got smashed or foolish.

The amazing thing is that she still tolerates me after nearly 40 years in Nov. She deserves every kind of award and medal imaginable, for sure.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
First wedding, small. Second wedding (21 years ago today) quite a bit larger. Got married at a Bucksnort party, lots of friends, a few family members and a bunch of people we didn't know, great weekend.

First wedding, small. Second wedding (21 years ago today) quite a bit larger. Got married at a Bucksnort party, lots of friends, a few family members and a bunch of people we didn't know, great weekend.
I might have been at your Bucksnort wedding party! :love: