Thomas Johnson Bridge Takes Backseat in State's Plans

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Thomas Johnson Bridge Takes Backseat in State's Plans

Date: 07-25-2017 10:19 PM

Summary: Not all projects, even those that are critical to St. Mary's and Calvert counties, can be funded.

Click here for the full story...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hey, Steny! What the hell are you doing up there besides resisting Donald Trump?? Maybe it's time we resist you, pal.

Hijinx

Hey, Steny! What the hell are you doing up there besides resisting Donald Trump?? Maybe it's time we resist you, pal.

Nothing new about St.Mary's County getting the short end of the fiscal stick.

Last edited:
It's being stalled because they aren't promoting it correctly. It needs to be re-designed with a pull-over scenic stop at the top and a bunch of fast food restaurants.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I don't understand why the issues with this bridge are not being addressed, asap. It is a horrific disaster waiting to happen. Like not findng the issues with a plane that crashes and kills hundreds. It is like, oh wait, we should have done something before the incident. And, then the ...oh well...we will never let this happen again. Yeah, right.

I stopped going over that bridge years before I moved out of Calvert. If something was in St. Mary's, I didn't need it. I looked elsewhere, or did without.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's being stalled because they aren't promoting it correctly.

This. What needs to be done is argue for the very reason the thing was built for in the first place. As an egress for an emergency at Calvert Cliffs. Now that the population has swelled so much since it's construction, even more so. Add in Dominion's LNG expansion. If, something were to happen, and that bridge was blocked by an accident, or whatever, during an actual emergency, many people stuck on the southern end of the county could die or become severely sickened by radiation. In essence, that bridge is a life and death exit from danger. And should be treated as such. It's not just about age, it's about capacity.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

This. What needs to be done is argue for the very reason the thing was built for in the first place. As an egress for an emergency at Calvert Cliffs. Now that the population has swelled so much since it's construction, even more so. Add in Dominion's LNG expansion. If, something were to happen, and that bridge was blocked by an accident, or whatever, during an actual emergency, many people stuck on the southern end of the county could die or become severely sickened by radiation. In essence, that bridge is a life and death exit from danger. And should be treated as such. It's not just about age, it's about capacity.

Pretty sure nothing at Cove point would call for a mass evacuation :) One time boom, no radiation.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As narrow as the peninsula is, coming over to the St. Mary's side to escape a nuclear event at Cal Cliffs does not buy you much separation...

I figure that the only outa here when Whoa Fat!, the crazy Korean kid, nukes Washington DC, will be by boat.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I figure that the only outa here when Whoa Fat!, the crazy Korean kid, nukes Washington DC, will be by boat.

In that event, there will be grid lock ... Nobody is getting out past DC
I would thing where you are would be pretty fallout free, as the dust blows easterly ....

glhs837

Power with Control
In that event, there will be grid lock ... Nobody is getting out past DC
I would thing where you are would be pretty fallout free, as the dust blows easterly ....

Yep, pretty safe bet that B'more is getting heavily dusted.

Hijinx

That bridge has been falling down since the day it was built. Any day it could be closed as unsafe.
I don't think it will fall down, but a determination could be made to close or restrict access to it.

Fact is it should not be carrying carry the load that it is carrying.

Agee

Like to see what takes the "front seat" in the states budget plans and its distribution!