Get Livestock Out of the Bay's Streams

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Get Livestock Out of the Bay's Streams

Date: 07-27-2017 07:13 PM

Summary: For decades, the Chesapeake Bay region states and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have recognized that one of the most obvious and affordable ways to reduce pollution in the estuary is to fence cattle out of streams. When cows defecate, they release bacteria that make waterways unsafe for swimming. But more significantly for the Bay's…

Click here for the full story...

Hijinx

Summary: For decades, the Chesapeake Bay region states and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have recognized that one of the most obvious and affordable ways to reduce pollution in the estuary is to fence cattle out of streams. When cows defecate, they release bacteria that make waterways unsafe for swimming. But more significantly for the Bay's…

Lets not forget the people in Washington and Baltimore with dogs that they take out for a walk and they defecate at the curb. Along comes a storm and it washes into the storm drains that are not filtered in any way.

Sapidus

Good luck with that once Trump is done with the EPA. He already overturned the clean streams regulation.

somdwatch

Good luck with that once Trump is done with the EPA. He already overturned the clean streams regulation.

Trump probably did it because it's applied only to what they think not what they know.

Don't you think if they were going to make sense of the EPA regulations they should think through their whole regulation? As Hijinx points out. What doesn't go into the bay?

Is MD, DE, PA, VA ready to rebuild their drainage systems? Get cows to drink bottled water? Can you lead a cow to a fire hose and make him drink from it.

Use your head, don't do what democrupts which is speak with no thought process.

buddscreek

it has been unlawful to run livestock in streams for years now. as a kid in the 60's and 70's
we fenced in the creeks for the livestock to water. then in the 80's the save the bay thing
put an end to that.

Hijinx

Trump probably did it because it's applied only to what they think not what they know.

Don't you think if they were going to make sense of the EPA regulations they should think through their whole regulation? As Hijinx points out. What doesn't go into the bay?

Is MD, DE, PA, VA ready to rebuild their drainage systems? Get cows to drink bottled water? Can you lead a cow to a fire hose and make him drink from it.

Use your head, don't do what democrupts which is speak with no thought process.

IMO no till ,spraying herbicides onto the land is much worse that some Cow poop.

black dog

Free America
IMO no till ,spraying herbicides onto the land is much worse that some Cow poop.

You tend not to get the massive erosion with no till that you get with conventional plowing and tilling of the land. Not to mention the ground moisture that is lost with conventional plowing and tilling compared to ripping and no till.
The Life span of today's herbicides and pesticides are short lived compared to what my father would have used.
No till saves 100's of tons of top soil from being run off each year in most Countys.

Last edited:

Hijinx

You tend not to get the massive erosion with no till that you get with conventional plowing and tilling of the land. Not to mention the ground moisture that is lost with conventional plowing and tilling compared to ripping and no till.
The Life span of today's herbicides and pesticides are short lived compared to what my father would have used.

They used to plow under a cover crop to add nutrients to the soil, now they just add chicken ####.
The Potomac river has no grass, so I guess no till is working.

Chris0nllyn

Lets not forget the people in Washington and Baltimore with dogs that they take out for a walk and they defecate at the curb. Along comes a storm and it washes into the storm drains that are not filtered in any way.

Yea, because Washington and Baltimore are the only two places in the area where people have dogs and where drains go to the waterways.

They used to plow under a cover crop to add nutrients to the soil, now they just add chicken ####.

All the farms around here do cover crops and rotate each year. Not sure what farms you're talking about.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The grass in our large cove is as thick this year as I've ever seen it..not since I was a kid has it been so thick and covered so much area..

So called "no till" corn crop practice replaced the problem of sediment runoff with nutrient runoff due to the massive application of nitrogen - sprayed on - required to achieve decent yields. When we switched over, we even ended up buying an old used tanker truck so we could haul and store our own fertilizer. Bought a big Terrigator to spray it too. Fun machine...

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All the farms around here do cover crops and rotate each year. Not sure what farms you're talking about.

Over on the eastern shore, the farms routinely use the chicken manure from the large poultry producers for their fertilizer. Quite a "hot button" issue at the moment, because both are claiming that if the government destroys that symbiotic relationship, the poultry producers will leave and the farmers will be economically hurt, forced to purchase more expensive commercial fertilizer products.

Hijinx

Yea, because Washington and Baltimore are the only two places in the area where people have dogs and where drains go to the waterways.

You don't know much about farms around here do you. They don't plow under their cover crops any longer they sell the wheat or barley sell the straw and plant corn or beans and get two crops a year out of the land they may subsoil , but they don't plow, and they spray between crops to keep down the weeds. I never stated that washington and Baltimore were the only towns where dogs take a crap I only mentioned them as they are the largest of the big cities with storm drains that go into the bay and it's tributaries..

Hijinx

The grass in our large cove is as thick this year as I've ever seen it..not since I was a kid has it been so thick and covered so much area..

So called "no till" corn crop practice replaced the problem of sediment runoff with nutrient runoff due to the massive application of nitrogen - sprayed on - required to achieve decent yields. When we switched over, we even ended up buying an old used tanker truck so we could haul and store our own fertilizer. Bought a big Terrigator to spray it too. Fun machine...

Don't know where your little cove is but Breton bay and St. Clements Bay the Wicomico, and the Narrows--No grass.

Chris0nllyn

You don't know much about farms around here do you. They don't plow under their cover crops any longer they sell the wheat or barley sell the straw and plant corn or beans and get two crops a year out of the land they may subsoil , but they don't plow, and they spray between crops to keep down the weeds. I never stated that washington and Baltimore were the only towns where dogs take a crap I only mentioned them as they are the largest of the big cities with storm drains that go into the bay and it's tributaries..

The farms around me plant winter rye between money crops like corn or soy beans. They till it in. I've seen them use the poo flingers but the plants have already started growing by then.

Also, farmers have implemented buffer zones prallel with slopes along with tree/brush lines along water to catch runoff. These are farming best practices that have been in place for some time.

DC and Baltimore storm drains combine with sewers and go to treatment plants in what's called a Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) system. DC has 53 CSOs alone. During wet weather events, they can overflow into rivers or streams as intended/designed. It's an old method, but certainly not unique to those cities and dog #### in storm drains isn;t on quite the same level as the topic in the OP which is discussing cattle farms not having fencing along waterfronts and not having adequate manure disposal plans.

In DC and Baltimore, taxpayer money is spent trying to upgrade sewers, pump stations, treatment plants/processes to combat runoff and nutrient pollution from that runoff. In the OP, they are arguing that large agriculture and meat companies aren't doing enough to prevent runoff, which leads to taxpayer-funded cleanup operations and programs.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Don't know where your little cove is but Breton bay and St. Clements Bay the Wicomico, and the Narrows--No grass.

Large cove...and it's along a major stretch of St. George's Creek out to Ball Point. Other coves in the area are all grassed in too.