Deuteronomy 21 Rebellious Son

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 21:18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.​

Bibletrack.org has the first commentary this morning.

"Mom, couldn't I just go to my room without supper?" His mom replies, "Son, where you're going, you won't be needin' a supper." Yes...we're talking about the stoning to death of one's rebellious son. What age son are we talkin' here, do you suppose? Well, he'd have to be under age twenty; that's the age of manhood in Israel. How fed up with your son must you be to take these drastic measures? I'm just guessing that this punishment encouraged model behavior - just the threat ought to do it.

It is worth noting that the mandate for further investigation or other witnesses seen in Deuteronomy 13:14 (see notes) and Deuteronomy 17:4 (see notes) is not required in this instance. The word of the parents is all that is required.

The easy English site has this to add.

Here the law supported the authority of the parents. Clearly, the son was out of control. He refused to obey God’s commandments and he would not change his mind. The sins of which they accused the son were probably just examples. The parents had to agree that they should take their wicked son to the leaders. If a son’s behaviour was very bad, he had to die. This son opposed his parents and he refused to change his behaviour. Therefore, the son must not continue to live in that society. The parents did not kill their son. Instead, all the men in the town had to carry out the punishment that the leaders had ordered. There are no examples in the Bible when that actually happened. However, these verses show the responsibility of parents. But it showed also the importance of how people behave in their society. God wanted the Israelites to keep his commands and to be holy.​

It's interesting to me that parents are called to turn their children over to the courts... then they are required to be a witness against their own children. Now if my son was a nasty drunk before the age of 20... when I'd have to deal with him.... I know there are a few readers who know what that boat looks like. Oh my heart aches for parents these days.... parents today are not allowed to swat their children.... let alone take them to the courts. Can you imagine what would happen to the parents of a nasty drunk or drug addict who read these verses and put them into action. It's bad enough to see your child tortured by these addictions.... but to turn your child over to the town justice for stoning must have been horrible.

:coffee: