NFL Fans Tuned Out of Games Last Year

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Confirmed: NFL Fans Tuned Out of Games Last Year Because Players Protested the National Anthem

The NFL took a massive ratings dive last year after a number of players, led by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, refused to stand for the National Anthem. At the time, NFL officials claimed they didn't exactly know why ratings were down and even used the 2016 presidential election as an excuse for why more people weren't watching.

But according to a new survey from J.D. Power, NFL fans did in fact tune out in droves because of the disrespect and protest of the National Anthem before games. From ESPN:

National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When the progbots can pussify the NFL, you know we are all doomed. I'm surprised football fans have allowed that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Roger Goodell is solely responsible for the pussification of the NFL.

Actually I'm going to go with the fans being responsible. That's where the money is and if the fans go away or at least complain, NFL will stop their nonsense.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Actually I'm going to go with the fans being responsible. That's where the money is and if the fans go away or at least complain, NFL will stop their nonsense.

Goodell could have put a stop to Kaepernick et al protests. He knew this was having an effect on viewership, yet he allowed these punks to use NFL time to protest.

Chris0nllyn

Goodell could have put a stop to Kaepernick et al protests. He knew this was having an effect on viewership, yet he allowed these punks to use NFL time to protest.

Yea, letting Kapernick exercise his First Amendment right, the horror!

Now we're cool with polls? Anyway, 12% watched fewer games. That's 1,104 people (out of 9,200). 287 of those 1,104 (or, a whopping 3%) said the anthem was the main factor.

Big deal. NFL viewership as a whole has been declining for some time now (An average of 8% last year), but even this past Super Bowl, which was one of the better ones in recent memory, had its lowest ratings of the past 3 years.

Hijinx

Now the clown running the Redskins is thinking of hiring Kaepernick.

But the fans are leaving the NFL and they are also leaving Nascar.

Because of the Confederate flag issue--or because it isn't a race anymore wit breaks being given during the race,
all of the cars being the same, and racing teams instead of individuals?

Wishbone

Kapernick is an entertainer.

If he chooses to push a political agenda and the "Customers" i.e. Fans, are not "entertained" it is not an infringement of his rights.

He is supposed to be working. And if you are truly a Libertarian you would understand that your "Job" is not the proper venue for "your" opinions.

Your obligation is to your Job.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I blame players with multiple concussions for this issue. Their brains are fuzzy and some how these coddled millionaires connect with the plight of the unwashed masses. They feel their pain as if it were there pain. They know the struggle is real.

CNN last night showed a program based on news of the 1990s. Million man march and various protests. Protesting for respect. Rioting against violence. If only they could see the irony. Respect is earned, not handed out like a trophy given to every player now involved in youth soccer.

Chris0nllyn

Kapernick is an entertainer.

If he chooses to push a political agenda and the "Customers" i.e. Fans, are not "entertained" it is not an infringement of his rights.

He is supposed to be working. And if you are truly a Libertarian you would understand that your "Job" is not the proper venue for "your" opinions.

Your obligation is to your Job.

He's still an American and last I checked no job is allowed to remove your rights. You and I may not agree with his position(s), but I still believe he has rights as an American citizen and am not willing to entrtain the idea that he should lose them because his stance isn't popular nor one I agree with.

As a true Libertarian, I believe in rights for everyone and the fact that you bring up being a "true Libertarian" means I should feel different only shows me that you're wholely unaware of the basic principals of that party.

If you want a safe space where you don't have to watch someone speak their mind, don't watch 49ers game and/or ignore the stories when they come up.

Last edited:

Restitution

He's still an American and last I checked no job is allowed to remove your rights. You and I may not agree with his position(s), but I still believe he has rights as an American citizen and am not willing to entrtain the idea that he should lose them because his stance isn't popular nor one I agree with.

As a true Libertarian, I believe in rights for everyone and the fact that you bring up being a "true Libertarian" means I should feel different only shows me that you're wholely unaware of the basic principals of that party.

Spoken like a true.... someone that has never served their country in uniform OR held a job where you are constantly viewed as the face of an organization.

They should have dropped his azz the first time he did it but I am sure Goodell was consulted and didn't want a lawsuit!!

Wishbone

If you want a safe space where you don't have to watch someone speak their mind, don't watch 49ers game and/or ignore the stories when they come up.

If you start politicking at your job, you're not working for your employer, the company or organization you are representing, and you are subject to punitive measures.

Are you really not capable of seeing that?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Oh boo hoo hoo. #### him. He was supposed to be doing a job and went out of his way to offend and run off the customers. Would your boss allow that?

What he does on his own time is his business; what he does at work reflects on his employer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He's still an American and last I checked no job is allowed to remove your rights.

Indeed most companies have codes of conduct that employees are required to abide by or walk their ass out the door. Maybe they don't have that where you work, but let me assure you that even small businesses don't allow their employees to "express themselves" while on the clock.

Rommey

Exercising your right on your own time and place of business is of your own choosing. Exercising your right while representing someone else is not exactly the best thing to do. Are you allowed to do anything you damned well pleased at your place of employment in the name of exercising your right? Probably not.

1. Goodell should have met with him and explained that he was affecting the image of the NFL and the NFL wasn't his personal soapbox.
2. Goodell should have gone to all of the networks and told them not to show any players exercising their right. They don't show the idiots that run onto the field during the game so as to not give that person their "15 minutes of fame"...why should the NFL highlight these players and give them a stage.
3. If I were the coach, I would have said "you want to kneel during the anthem, then you have to kneel for the entire game...and kneel for the entire practices".
4. If I were the GM, I would have removed him from the active roster as to not further the distraction.

Wishbone

Indeed most companies have codes of conduct that employees are required to abide by or walk their ass out the door. Maybe they don't have that where you work, but let me assure you that even small businesses don't allow their employees to "express themselves" while on the clock.

Its amazing how many of these leftist loons have never worked for anyone.