Septic Pump Out

Need referrals. My septic system backed up last night.

Wayne's, C&C, Copsey are all booked up. Waiting on a return call from Hill's.

Supposed to have company this weekend.

ginwoman

Does Charles Downs pump? Surely someone could take an hour out of their schedule to come pump you out. Good Gawd.

Just got a call back from Hills. They can be here this afternoon. Hills also provided me with another name, Jimmie's Septic, who is on standby "just in case"

Everyone I called is booked solid for a minimum of 3 days, some for 3 weeks.

All better, for now. Thank You Hill's Septic!

Normally this would not have been a crisis. I can handle a little inconvenience while waiting for service, but I'm heading to VA Friday to pick up my parents and bring them back to my place for the weekend. Not having facilities for them would be a real problem.

Thanx for the suggestions!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
GW, who would you recommend? I've been told mine should be pumped, just for good measure. C&C said they charge to dig down, but that confuses me. I know where the pipe is, so I don't get why they have to dig down. Besides, they put in my whole new drainfield in 2011. Helpz plz!

limblips

PREMO Member
Not GW but I think what they are saying is they charge to dig down to the tank cover. They don't pump out your drain field, they pump out your tank since over time it can become filled with non-degradable solids which can lead to drain field clogging. If you know where your tank cover is dig it yourself. It is usually shallow, 6-12 inches. If you don't know where it is but have a rough idea get a friend with a good metal detector. The handle for the cover is iron.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not GW but I think what they are saying is they charge to dig down to the tank cover. They don't pump out your drain field, they pump out your tank since over time it can become filled with non-degradable solids which can lead to drain field clogging. If you know where your tank cover is dig it yourself. It is usually shallow, 6-12 inches. If you don't know where it is but have a rough idea get a friend with a good metal detector. The handle for the cover is iron.

Thank you. I do know where the top to the tank is, as should C&C since they put it in. We will have someone dig it out for us rather than pay $200+

My "goto" guy is Wayne's Drains, 301-884-5592. They were busy last time I needed them, so I was able to get Larry Hill and Sons, 301-994-9700. I also have a name of Jimmie's Septic, 410-474-1346. Seems they all know each other and refer to each other. When I called Wayne's, she gave me a whole list of names to call, but I can't find it now.

As was stated, if they have to dig down to get to the cover, they will charge you for it. If you know where it is, and can dig yourself, great, but call them first so you don't dig for nothing.

If they dug down once before, I'm surprised they didn't install an above-ground cap. That's pretty much the SOP, so if you need to get pumped out again you just open the cap. No digging.

That all said.... if you're not having an issue, not backing up, no wet spots in the lawn, I'd be hesitant to have it pumped "just because". If the tank and drain field are doing their job, it shouldn't have to be pumped. Between $250 and $350 to pump, not including the digging or the cap install. I don't remember what my cap cost me.

And as payment for my services, can I borrow whomever you have to dig? I'm still having issues and need to dig down to the drain field, but I simply can't do that anymore. I've been so busy running between here and VA and AR that I haven't had a chance to address my own septic issues. Have to stagger shower v laundry v dishwasher.....

Found the list...
Gave you Wayne's, Hill's and Jimmie's. Those would be my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

Other names, no idea who they are or quality of work:
Downs 301-997-1566
Copsey 301-884-4408
Lee's 301-392-1910

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My "goto" guy is Wayne's Drains, 301-884-5592. They were busy last time I needed them, so I was able to get Larry Hill and Sons, 301-994-9700. I also have a name of Jimmie's Septic, 410-474-1346. Seems they all know each other and refer to each other. When I called Wayne's, she gave me a whole list of names to call, but I can't find it now.

As was stated, if they have to dig down to get to the cover, they will charge you for it. If you know where it is, and can dig yourself, great, but call them first so you don't dig for nothing.

If they dug down once before, I'm surprised they didn't install an above-ground cap. That's pretty much the SOP, so if you need to get pumped out again you just open the cap. No digging.

That all said.... if you're not having an issue, not backing up, no wet spots in the lawn, I'd be hesitant to have it pumped "just because". If the tank and drain field are doing their job, it shouldn't have to be pumped. Between $250 and $350 to pump, not including the digging or the cap install. I don't remember what my cap cost me.

That's the thing, it has a capped pipe, but they said it still has to be dug. Makes no sense to me.

As for the potential digger, I think one of the grandson's was going to be tasked with that. :lol:

Found the list...
Gave you Wayne's, Hill's and Jimmie's. Those would be my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

Other names, no idea who they are or quality of work:
Downs 301-997-1566
Copsey 301-884-4408
Lee's 301-392-1910

Thank you! I'll place some follow up calls. :yay: