Auto Insurance

Chris0nllyn

Looking to save some money. As of now Progressive is WAY less than what I'm paying now. Policy is for 4 vehicles (2015, 2008, 2006, 1995) and 2 drivers. No tickets or accidents in 5+ years.

What company is everyone else using and have you had good luck with them? Heaven forbid I need to make a claim, how hard, easy was it with that company?

Clem72

I have had good luck with Geico, especially if you are current/former military or civilian (Government Employees Insurance Company) which gets a decent discount.

You can also get bundling discounts if you have home insurance with the same carrier. I was able to get Eerie insurance near the same price as Geico because it was bundled with my homeowners.

I have never had to make an at-fault claim, however I have been hit by someone with Geico and it was pretty painless. They asked if I had a preferred shop, I did, they said the shop was in network so I didn't need to go anywhere else for an estimate and the work was done in a couple of days.

I have also been hit by someone who had Eastwood insurance, and it was a fight for months over a couple of thousand dollars.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have State Farm and also have the bundle with home/auto. We have made several claims over the last 20 years and never had an issue.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Four vehicles (2016, 2015, 2010, 1996), all paid for, three drivers (one a 20 year old college student), and use Travellers - $3,600 per year. Our college daughter just kills us, and will continue to until age 25, I'm told, even with no accidents/claims/tickets of any kind for all three of us. Geico, USAA, and Progressive could not come close to that, at least here in Tampa. Rates are high here, for sure. For some reason, our "affluent" zip code 33626, costs more than rates down in various 'hoods of the inner city area. Go figure.

Toxick

Splat
Looking to save some money. As of now Progressive is WAY less than what I'm paying now.

I was with GEICO for years. Years. I asked them what I could do to get that premium down, and after a few clicks on the computer, they told me that I had the best rate they could offer me.

I called Progressive and they gave me a quote for half - I kid you not, HALF - of what I was paying GEICO. Out of some moronic sense of brand loyalty, I called GEICO and told them what Progressive was offering me, to see if they could even come close to matching it. The person I talked to expressed disbelief when I told them my quote from Progressive. I gave them every opportunity to budge - they didn't. I switched that day.

So, I'd suggest Progressive. They also offer discounts if you sign up for their renters insurance, and other discounts if you want (Like their Snapshot thing, although I didn't care for that). I don't have a single complaint about them.

Plus I'm still in love with Flo after all these years.

Chris0nllyn

I have had good luck with Geico, especially if you are current/former military or civilian (Government Employees Insurance Company) which gets a decent discount.

You can also get bundling discounts if you have home insurance with the same carrier. I was able to get Eerie insurance near the same price as Geico because it was bundled with my homeowners.

I have never had to make an at-fault claim, however I have been hit by someone with Geico and it was pretty painless. They asked if I had a preferred shop, I did, they said the shop was in network so I didn't need to go anywhere else for an estimate and the work was done in a couple of days.

I have also been hit by someone who had Eastwood insurance, and it was a fight for months over a couple of thousand dollars.

Geico was second lowest for me. I have Erie right now and have had them for years so they may be willing to price match. I'd also bundle homeowners.

I have State Farm and also have the bundle with home/auto. We have made several claims over the last 20 years and never had an issue.

I've heard State Farm is really good about defending their customers. The wanted a SSN for a quote and declined that, so I'm not sure where they stand on cost.

Four vehicles (2016, 2015, 2010, 1996), all paid for, three drivers (one a 20 year old college student), and use Travellers - $3,600 per year. Our college daughter just kills us, and will continue to until age 25, I'm told, even with no accidents/claims/tickets of any kind for all three of us. Geico, USAA, and Progressive could not come close to that, at least here in Tampa. Rates are high here, for sure. For some reason, our "affluent" zip code 33626, costs more than rates down in various 'hoods of the inner city area. Go figure.

Good to know. I haven't checked them out, but Farmers Insurance was extremely high for me.

Chris0nllyn

I was with GEICO for years. Years. I asked them what I could do to get that premium down, and after a few clicks on the computer, they told me that I had the best rate they could offer me.

I called Progressive and they gave me a quote for half - I kid you not, HALF - of what I was paying GEICO. Out of some moronic sense of brand loyalty, I called GEICO and told them what Progressive was offering me, to see if they could even come close to matching it. The person I talked to expressed disbelief when I told them my quote from Progressive. I gave them every opportunity to budge - they didn't. I switched that day.

So, I'd suggest Progressive. They also offer discounts if you sign up for their renters insurance, and other discounts if you want (Like their Snapshot thing, although I didn't care for that). I don't have a single complaint about them.

Plus I'm still in love with Flo after all these years.

Thanks. I plan on giving Erie a chance to match, but money talks. Geico came in $50 less per month than what I'm paying now and Progressive was the same as your situation. Half what I'm paying now.

Sounds almost too good to be true.

luvmygdaughters

I've had Geico for years, also have our homeowners thru them. I've had a small claims, rock in the windshield, deer ran into my car damaged the side mirror, etc. no problems. The one big claim I had was after I was T-boned at the intersection in Leonardtown, by a kid who wasnt paying attention. I called Geico and they took care of everything. Never had a problem with them at all. We have two cars and I carry full coverage on both of them, payments are $ 206.00 p/month.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I have USAA for home, auto and rental. For my 2010 truck and 2013 car with full coverage is $1200 a year. Cost has been creeping up even with no "at fault" claims or tickets in +20yrs. My 3 Mustangs have collector car coverage through Hagerty.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've been with Allstate since 1985 and they've done well by me. At the moment, 4 trucks, one car, and one motorcycle are covered by them.

I get some kind of discount (I'm told) because we also have our home insurance with Allstate.

They used to have a lower cost "classic auto" policy and I still have two vehicles on it, but it's no longer available for new policies. When I get the TR3 done, I'll probably be talking to Haggerty.

PeoplesElbow

I use to have Allstate and they were great for claims, a family friend is an agent and everything was through him. I move to Maryland and continued to have Allstate, I get a quote from State Farm through a friends wife and it was exactly half of what Allstate was for the same coverage. I have had State Farm since.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I use to have Allstate and they were great for claims, a family friend is an agent and everything was through him. I move to Maryland and continued to have Allstate, I get a quote from State Farm through a friends wife and it was exactly half of what Allstate was for the same coverage. I have had State Farm since.

That's interesting, because I have most of my business insurance policies with State Farm. Naturally, along the way, they asked to quote all my auto and property....and couldn't touch the rates Allstate gives me. Go figger.

PeoplesElbow

That's interesting, because I have most of my business insurance policies with State Farm. Naturally, along the way, they asked to quote all my auto and property....and couldn't touch the rates Allstate gives me. Go figger.

I did hear State Farm wasn't the best if you had things like pools, piers, boats etc. At the time I had one vehicle and a house, now I have two vehicles (and still one house).

SamSpade

We have USAA and I've had them myself for at least auto for more than thirty years. Never had a single problem with them, and any problems I've ever heard from other members in my family, they've cleared up quickly.