.303 British Surplus

Wishbone

Does anyone here have experience with 303 Surplus, particularly the Mk 8 cartridges?

I'm aware the pressure is higher than the VII but was told it was safe to fire in an SMLE with a VII barrel.

black dog

Free America
My son shoots a few Enfields, what I have always been told is the biggest difference between mk7 and mk8 is mk7 has a flat base bullet and if it's vintage ammo it most likely is loaded with cordite.
Mk8 will have a boat tail bullet that was designed for the Vickers machine gun it was also issued for Enfield use. It will be just a tad hotter than mk7 and be about 100 fps faster. It shouldn't be any problem at all to shoot in your rifle.
What date is this ammo? Is it packed in Boxes or belts?
We bought a bunch on vickers belts a few years ago that was manufactured in the 50's by PP that shoots clean and has boxer primers so he can reload it.

Wishbone

Not sure of the date, I'll have to check but i'm thinking it may have been circa 1960s or 1970s.

If it's only a bit hotter, i won't worry about it then, as I don't expect to shoot it often.

Thanks.

black dog

Free America
You shouldn't have any problems with ammo that modern.
Good clean modern surplus 8mm and 303 ammo is really getting hard to find at reasonable prices.
When I come across it I generally buy it. I'm really glad we stacked deep a few years ago with 7.62x 54R.

Wishbone

You shouldn't have any problems with ammo that modern.
Good clean modern surplus 8mm and 303 ammo is really getting hard to find at reasonable prices.
When I come across it I generally buy it. I'm really glad we stacked deep a few years ago with 7.62x 54R.

Surplus of ANY kind of getting hard to find. I just scored some Garand food a couple of months ago at about .55 a round, LC prod.

The same guy sold me some Match grade unopened boxes as well. I think he'd been holding on to it since the 70s.

The next generation isn't going to see any of it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Surplus of ANY kind of getting hard to find. .

Yep. And since most of my irons shoot surplus Soviet, its gone downhill rapidly since the embargo. BUT...because there is so much demand for that stuff (7.62x39, 7.62x54r,7.62x25) , "allowed" producers are stepping up with cheaper bulk ammo. One of them...can't remember off the top of my head but Wolf comes to mind, has even started cranking out cheap(er) 6.5 Grendel ammo. I have not tried it yet..bro-in-law say its fine.

Wishbone

Yep. And since most of my irons shoot surplus Soviet, its gone downhill rapidly since the embargo. BUT...because there is so much demand for that stuff (7.62x39, 7.62x54r,7.62x25) , "allowed" producers are stepping up with cheaper bulk ammo. One of them...can't remember off the top of my head but Wolf comes to mind, has even started cranking out cheap(er) 6.5 Grendel ammo. I have not tried it yet..bro-in-law say its fine.

Never got into the Russian stuff. Did spend effort on finding a German Mauser, without success, but stuck to American arms.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Never got into the Russian stuff. Did spend effort on finding a German Mauser, without success, but stuck to American arms.

Not sure exactly how I ended up going in that direction. LOL. It just sorta "happened". And I have American arms as well...many.

black dog

Free America

If you are looking at 98's your needs normally can be filled at the Chantilly or Richmond VA shows if not York,Pa. All I can say is read and buy books and learn more, If you are interested in Nazi and or SS 98's pay careful attention before you purchase , lots and lots of fakes out there. And bring a CC because they aren't 69 dollars anymore.

Wishbone

If you are looking at 98's your needs normally can be filled at the Chantilly or Richmond VA shows if not York,Pa. All I can say is read and buy books and learn more, If you are interested in Nazi and or SS 98's pay careful attention before you purchase , lots and lots of fakes out there. And bring a CC because they aren't 69 dollars anymore.

Not as concerned with getting one with Nazi proof marks, just a good shooter rifle of German origin or one of good quality from another maker.

I've been told for years to stay away from Mitchells Mausers.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not sure exactly how I ended up going in that direction. LOL. It just sorta "happened". And I have American arms as well...many.

I bought my 1st Mosin in 1986 .... ammo was $ 22 a box, and NORMA was all you could find.

on an E-3 Salary I got into reloading pretty fast.

Wishbone

Have not had the best results with loading for rifle. I stuck to handgun cartridges.

Oh, one exception would be 30:30. Did manage a good result with that one.

black dog

Free America
Not as concerned with getting one with Nazi proof marks, just a good shooter rifle of German origin or one of good quality from another maker.

I've been told for years to stay away from Mitchells Mausers.

Mitchell's are what they are, lots of bamboozled customers over the decades for sure.
I have a ex BIL that owns quite a few. He's a shooter not a collector.

black dog

Free America
Are they worth the money as an ordinary shooter?

Are you looking at the Serbian Model 48's ?
If so for 350 bucks it's gonna be rough but should be fine for shooting.

I just asked my son about what he paid for his last 98. It's a 1943 built by Sauer, it's in very good condition, he paid under 400 for it two years ago while at a Chantilly show.
It is unpeened and was still packed in cosmoline.

Wishbone

Are you looking at the Serbian Model 48's ?
If so for 350 bucks it's gonna be rough but should be fine for shooting.

I just asked my son about what he paid for his last 98. It's a 1943 built by Sauer, it's in very good condition, he paid under 400 for it two years ago while at a Chantilly show.
It is unpeened and was still packed in cosmoline.
I was looking at 98s.

That's not that bad. I've seen the asking price higher for a turkish variant.

I'll have the check the next couple VA shows.