Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citizens of 2nd & 9th Districts: potential changes to your local Fire/EMS Station

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by besidemyself View Post
    While your wondering, notice how many blue and white ambulances have been in the valley lately? Ever wonder how they plan on making the payments on an $8 million loan since the addition that is very seldom used, isn't paid for yet? Then there's the ever diminishing numbers of members showing up for calls? But that heart, I'm sure that a new building will make everyone come back,,,,,, and the world flat.
    So what local Second VFD genius is so enamored of a new Taj Mahal when the unit cannot even put out the most basic fires and has a reputation only as "foundation savers"?

And hell..when they showed up to take my father-in-law out of his house, - love them ancient drivers they have that I do, were it not for them we'd have nothing, and I know every one of 'em - the only way we even got him out of the house was me and another younger local fella doing all the heavy lifting.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 08-05-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    And hell..when they showed up to take my father-in-law out of his house, - love them ancient drivers they have that I do, were it not for them we'd have nothing, ...
    Oh, you would have something. Either EMS contracted to someone like AMR or ambulances driven by county employees (at substantial cost to the taxpayer).

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    If that SAFE boat I saw is what they got from surplus, I hope they keep the engine power low and do A LOT of training. They can be dangerous if not handled properly.
    They cant seem to keep trucks on the road and wear seat belts to keep them from being ejected why would they bother to train to operate a silly boat?
    I'm betting it ends up with a pair of 200 hp welfare motors on it.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Oh, you would have something. Either EMS contracted to someone like AMR or ambulances driven by county employees (at substantial cost to the taxpayer).
    But yet so many other counties in Md have paid Fire,EMS departments.
    I live in a city of less than 5,000 folks, The average property tax is less than 600 bucks a year. But we seem to be able to afford a paid Fire Department / EMT. And none of there equipment is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    But yet so many other counties in Md have paid Fire,EMS departments.
    So many ? PG is a hybrid department, MoCo is a hybrid, AACo is a hybrid...... and all of them pay more on a per square mile basis than the counties that are still fully volunteer.

I'll readily admit that we have way too much equipment and taj mahals for fire stations in SoMD. Some of the least active departments have the most elaborate stations. Yet at the end of the day, the annual mortgage on a 5 mil fire station is about what it costs to hire three career firefighters. To staff an engine 24/7 you need about 8 FTEs. So even if you stick the career people in a two-bay quonset with a container for housing, you are still going to spend multiples of a volunteer system. PG is a good example of that. They are up to almost 200mil per year for fire protection, 80% of that is eaten by career personnel salaries and disability payments.

I live in a city of less than 5,000 folks, The average property tax is less than 600 bucks a year. But we seem to be able to afford a paid Fire Department / EMT. And none of there equipment is junk.
    You keep repeating that like it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post

You keep repeating that like it matters.

You keep acting like volunteers are the shizzle and have skin in the game like career Fireman. How about a fully volunteer Police Dept?
    It certainly matters, We have both here in Indiana, But volunteer departments are in rural and very small towns that mostly are not even manned until the alarm is sounded.
    Certainly Mechanicsville, Hollywood and Lexington Park should have a paid Fire Dept. And the same for Dunkirk, Prince Frederick and the Ranch Club / Solomons.

and so many?? lets start with Baltimore, Bethesda, Bowie, Columbia, Dundalk, Ellicott City, Gathersburg, Germantown, Potomac, Rockville, Silver Spring, Towson and Waldorf all have paid depts.
    Last edited by black dog; 08-06-2017 at 11:16 PM.

and so many?? lets start with Baltimore, Bethesda, Bowie, Columbia, Dundalk, Ellicott City, Gathersburg, Germantown, Potomac, Rockville, Silver Spring, Towson and Waldorf all have paid depts.
    You seem to know very little about the fire service in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by besidemyself View Post
    While your wondering, notice how many blue and white ambulances have been in the valley lately? Ever wonder how they plan on making the payments on an $8 million loan since the addition that is very seldom used, isn't paid for yet? Then there's the ever diminishing numbers of members showing up for calls? But that heart, I'm sure that a new building will make everyone come back,,,,,, and the world flat.
    Quit being a bitter pill. If you think you have so much to offer, go volunteer your time at the station and become part of the solution.
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

You keep acting like volunteers are the shizzle and have skin in the game like career Fireman. How about a fully volunteer Police Dept?
    It certainly matters, We have both here in Indiana, But volunteer departments are in rural and very small towns that mostly are not even manned until the alarm is sounded.
    Certainly Mechanicsville, Hollywood and Lexington Park should have a paid Fire Dept. And the same for Dunkirk, Prince Frederick and the Ranch Club / Solomons.

Waldorf is still (unfortunately) part of Charles County, Charles County is an all volunteer service. MICu is still volunteer based. However, various fire dept.'s do rent space and equipment to the Charles County Emergency Medical Services.
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Quit being a bitter pill. If you think you have so much to offer, go volunteer your time at the station and become part of the solution.
    Brings up the fundamental question though: What will an expensive new building do to enhance their readiness, skills, responses and performance?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 88