Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Citizens of 2nd & 9th Districts: potential changes to your local Fire/EMS Station

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I enlisted in the Marine Corps, it was much more enlightening than being a Volunteer Fireman.
    Well, if I ever need advice on invading a country from the sea, I'll be sure to ask your advice.

It's actually farther than that, how about I lived there for 40+ years, I grew up in Bethesda, where they have paid Firemen.
    Because Bethesda with a density of 4200/sq mi and St Marys County with a density of 312/ sq mi are exactly the same .

Btw. Bay District has an ISO rating of 3. Montgomery Fire also has an ISO rating of 3 (for the urban tier of the county). To the insurance underwriters, the fire protection provided by the 100% volunteer BDVFD in the 'urban tier' of SMC is equivalent to that provided by the predominantly career MCFRS. So there is that.
    Last edited by officeguy; 08-08-2017 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    There are different setups in Charles county.
    In most stations, the vehicles are purchased with fire tax revenue/donations/bingo and the volunteer organization takes care of maintenance and equipment. The county provides medic + driver or medic + EMT.
    The county rents space and equipment from the volunteer organization. There are not paid/career EMS people at every station in the county.

For basic life support responses, often a volunteer BLS ambulance is paged out along with the county staffed advanced life support unit. If the volunteer unit responds in time, the county ALS unit goes back in service. Frequently the county unit gets to the scene before the volunteer ambulance. If the medic doesn't believe that any advanced life support is necessary, the volunteer BLS unit does the transport. As the transport often takes an hour round-trip (with time spent at the hospital), splitting the response that way keeps the ALS unit available in their response area.
    The volunteer unit is always paged out, ALS may be paged depending on severity of call. Second alarm for the station is supposed to be an automatic ALS page. Transport is often more than an hour wait time as the area hospitals have gotten ridiculous. You can't just drop a patient at the door, hospital staff has to sign for the patient transfer.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Unless the current station collapses unto itself, it doesn't. The fact that the current plans are to retain the old station for 'community use' raises the question whether it is really in such dire straits.

The county should take a critical look at the scope of the project before they approve any funds or tax increases for it. In how many fire responses has the department actually staffed more than one apparatus and do they need a pumper a squad and a tanker or would a rescue-engine and a tanker be sufficient ?
    Also, building bay space for things like 'command vehicles' is a waste of money as those are usually parked at the chiefs or deputy chiefs house. Public service buildings are expensive to build, any square footage that can be shaved off helps to bring the cost under control. Would it make sense to build X bays now but lay out the building that additional space could be added if community and call growth make it necessary ?
    You don't have a frickin clue how this process works.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    The county rents space and equipment from the volunteer organization. There are not paid/career EMS people at every station in the county.
    I didn't say there are.

The volunteer unit is always paged out, ALS may be paged depending on severity of call.
    Mh, no.

5. 08-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    You don't have a frickin clue how this process works.
    Which process ?
    The spec and bidding process for a department owned fire station in SMC ?
    The process to approve a fire tax increase for the 2nd and 9th district ?

If you increase my taxes so that the "boys" can play in a new firehouse you can fricken well forget my yearly donation. Not a damn thing wrong with the current building, add on if you have to or remodel. Live within your means just like I do.
    No more splitting Uranium for fun and profit, retirement is cool so far....

The newsletter they sent out says otherwise. I laughed at the justification beside the building costs, for the tax increase request, including the potential to have to hire and pay for a Chief, a President, and other salaried admin folks. If that's the case, contract with Patriot or AMR and have an EMT and driver at the station M-F, 0600-1800. Answer the alarm instead of paying for bureaucrats...

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I enlisted in the Marine Corps, it was much more enlightening than being a Volunteer Fireman.
    It's actually farther than that, how about I lived there for 40+ years, I grew up in Bethesda, where they have paid Firemen. And I still own a home in MD.
    I have owned homes in Bethesda, Sunshine, Annapolis ( paid fireman ) and Mechanicsville..
    Is that good enough?
    wtf is wrong with being a volunteer firefighter?

10. 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM

11. 08-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote Originally Posted by besidemyself View Post
    The boat did come from navy surplus, stripped. It's up to CO6 to outfit it. From what I've heard it's not in the budget, wonder what is going to suffer.
    Well it looks like it's been outfitted so I'm guessing they found the money. I passed it on MD-249. A pair of new looking outboards on the back and a fully populated radar/antenna mast. It's currently underway in the Piney Point area.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Well it looks like it's been outfitted so I'm guessing they found the money. I passed it on MD-249. A pair of new looking outboards on the back and a fully populated radar/antenna mast. It's currently underway in the Piney Point area.
    They sure timed it perfectly on the weather...maybe they wanted to see if the cabin leaks.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 92