Red-Light/Green-Light

Agee

SHA started the process of changing the traffic signal light timing on RT 235 from Airport View DR. to Great Mills. Times affected, 5:45 am to 9:00am, 3:00 to 7:00 pm. Then will monitor traffic flow to evaluate effectiveness. Just spoke with a SHA tech outside my office.

Time for a Happy Dance :dye: or not? :yawn:

black dog

Free America
A good young man that worked for me part time and was one of my best friends only child, lost his son crossing over at that intersection. It was his fault, by not giving ROW. That suv heading south hit him at about 75 mph.
I miss both of you two, Mike Sr and Mikey Jr..
I'm glad there is a light there now.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I don't know whether it was because of the changes or lighter traffic because it's Friday, but from Hermanville Road to Airport Road, I only hit two lights red and got to work well over 5 minutes faster. :yay:

Grumpy

Noticed yesterday that I seemed to catch all the green lights coming in and this morning was the same. From Hollywood rd to office was always 15-20 minutes..this morning and yesterday it was 10 minutes. Leaving at 4 yesterday, usually a trip of 20-25 minutes to Hollywood rd was 15 minutes. Definite improvement.

Restitution

Noticed yesterday that I seemed to catch all the green lights coming in and this morning was the same. From Hollywood rd to office was always 15-20 minutes..this morning and yesterday it was 10 minutes. Leaving at 4 yesterday, usually a trip of 20-25 minutes to Hollywood rd was 15 minutes. Definite improvement.

Lol. I don't know about yesterday because my trip from Gate 2 area to Hollywood road when leaving at 4 took the usual 40-45 minutes!

But... this morning it took me 20 minutes to go the reverse instead of the usual 30-35 due to traffic and lights. Lots of green lights along the way.

I didn't notice any difference as Fridays are usually a lot less packed with traffic. (As are Monday mornings and I still haven't figured out why on that one :shrug:)

glhs837

Power with Control
Everyone keep a close eye on the yellow light timings...

Should start at stop at 4 seconds. A few years back I spoke to the SHA engineer in charge of light timings for our area, specifically regarding the timings on RT 235. He said, and repeated for emphasis that a roadway with those speeds was supposed to have, per SHA guidance, 4 seconds, and that's what they are. And he damn well wouldn't be making them shorter for any reason. Now, he could be gone, or folks above him could overrule him. But since the only reason to reduce the yellows would be to enhance the profitability of red light cameras, which the SHA has already told the Sheriff not only no, but hell no, I wouldn't worry overly much about that.

I could be wrong, but I think every instance of Maryland short yellows has been done on a municipal/county road level, not State maintained roads.

Last edited:

Restitution

Compressed schedules.

I understand that. I may have not worded it correctly.

I didn't notice the difference IN THE LIGHTING CHANGES with respects to the quicker time because Fridays are usually less packed with traffic. Maybe that makes more sense.

Would still like to know why Mondays are just as light on traffic as Fridays :shrug:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
the lights are still not fixed. Today i hit lots, coming from 2/4 - Target, Kmart, Walmart, Dicks.... Now maybe timing wise they would be ok IF YOU DROVE 45, i can't drive 45 :larry:!!!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
the lights are still not fixed. Today i hit lots, coming from 2/4 - Target, Kmart, Walmart, Dicks.... Now maybe timing wise they would be ok IF YOU DROVE 45, i can't drive 45 :larry:!!!!!

Did someone say that they were getting fixed in such a way as to provide a stream of greens for folks going a certain speed? As far as I know, that "river of green lights" is not a thing that they strive for. At any speed. Although I have been told by a few people that a hair over 60 seems to match the pattern well. :)

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
What does evaluate traffic flow effectiveness mean then ? To move the mass of traffic that flows down 235 towards base and north to DC in a quick timely manner... Grumpy saw an imporvement of ~10 minutes, i didn't see that today, was the nominal flow as always.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Is it possible that you went through before the 5:45 start time?

Grumpy

6:50am Hollywood Rd
7:00am Gate 1

Normally longer than 10 minutes, no matter what day of the week.

PeoplesElbow

I tried to go to Lowes last week after work and it took me 45 minutes to get there, the right lanes were backed up to Walmart, I assumed it was bridge BS.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I tried to go to Lowes last week after work and it took me 45 minutes to get there, the right lanes were backed up to Walmart, I assumed it was bridge BS.

Bridge was hosed on Friday afternoon. We made a run up to North Beach and on the way back about 530 it was backed up to Food Lion solomons. We went on the island for dinner. Left a bit after 630 and it was still hosed up. No sigh of an accident. Maybe the light at Myrtle Point messed it all up. :shrug:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Did someone say that they were getting fixed in such a way as to provide a stream of greens for folks going a certain speed? As far as I know, that "river of green lights" is not a thing that they strive for. At any speed. Although I have been told by a few people that a hair over 60 seems to match the pattern well. :)

good luck with that, all it takes is one person in the center lane doing under the speed limit or a couple of large trucks and everything gets whacked out
I don't think you could do 60 north of Rt 4. I have been behind people who don't seem to realize the speed limit is actually 55.