Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red-Light/Green-Light

Red-Light/Green-Light

SHA started the process of changing the traffic signal light timing on RT 235 from Airport View DR. to Great Mills. Times affected, 5:45 am to 9:00am, 3:00 to 7:00 pm. Then will monitor traffic flow to evaluate effectiveness. Just spoke with a SHA tech outside my office.

Time for a Happy Dance or not?
    Earth: 30% Land, 70% Race Course... ___/) ____/)

"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none"... Benjamin Franklin

A good young man that worked for me part time and was one of my best friends only child, lost his son crossing over at that intersection. It was his fault, by not giving ROW. That suv heading south hit him at about 75 mph.
    I miss both of you two, Mike Sr and Mikey Jr..
    I'm glad there is a light there now.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Everyone keep a close eye on the yellow light timings...

Blog Entries
    I don't know whether it was because of the changes or lighter traffic because it's Friday, but from Hermanville Road to Airport Road, I only hit two lights red and got to work well over 5 minutes faster.

Noticed yesterday that I seemed to catch all the green lights coming in and this morning was the same. From Hollywood rd to office was always 15-20 minutes..this morning and yesterday it was 10 minutes. Leaving at 4 yesterday, usually a trip of 20-25 minutes to Hollywood rd was 15 minutes. Definite improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Noticed yesterday that I seemed to catch all the green lights coming in and this morning was the same. From Hollywood rd to office was always 15-20 minutes..this morning and yesterday it was 10 minutes. Leaving at 4 yesterday, usually a trip of 20-25 minutes to Hollywood rd was 15 minutes. Definite improvement.
    Lol. I don't know about yesterday because my trip from Gate 2 area to Hollywood road when leaving at 4 took the usual 40-45 minutes!

But... this morning it took me 20 minutes to go the reverse instead of the usual 30-35 due to traffic and lights. Lots of green lights along the way.

I didn't notice any difference as Fridays are usually a lot less packed with traffic. (As are Monday mornings and I still haven't figured out why on that one )
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post

I didn't notice any difference as Fridays are usually a lot less packed with traffic. (As are Monday mornings and I still haven't figured out why on that one )
    Compressed schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenhawk View Post
    Everyone keep a close eye on the yellow light timings...
    Should start at stop at 4 seconds. A few years back I spoke to the SHA engineer in charge of light timings for our area, specifically regarding the timings on RT 235. He said, and repeated for emphasis that a roadway with those speeds was supposed to have, per SHA guidance, 4 seconds, and that's what they are. And he damn well wouldn't be making them shorter for any reason. Now, he could be gone, or folks above him could overrule him. But since the only reason to reduce the yellows would be to enhance the profitability of red light cameras, which the SHA has already told the Sheriff not only no, but hell no, I wouldn't worry overly much about that.

I could be wrong, but I think every instance of Maryland short yellows has been done on a municipal/county road level, not State maintained roads.
    Last edited by glhs837; 08-04-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Compressed schedules.
    I understand that. I may have not worded it correctly.

I didn't notice the difference IN THE LIGHTING CHANGES with respects to the quicker time because Fridays are usually less packed with traffic. Maybe that makes more sense.

Would still like to know why Mondays are just as light on traffic as Fridays
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post

Would still like to know why Mondays are just as light on traffic as Fridays
    Hangovers

Members who have read this thread: 123