Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Toyota Higjhlander

2008 Toyota Higjhlander

Back in May I acquired a Highlander to replace the Explorer the wife totaled. Last week the oil change notification came on though I have less than 3000 miles since the last change (changed when I got it) and a month according to what was in the navigation unit, no worries. So today I got the oil changed (6.5 quarts of oil) and reset all the date, mileage, information in the navigation system, but the start up warning was still coming on. So I combed through the 577 page owners manual looking for how to reset it, nothing. Then off to browse the 260 page navigation unit manual, again nothing.

Thank God for youtube. Second video I tried showing how you are supposed to do it and success. Why the #### couldn't those bastards have had that info in their manuals? Things don't have to be that hard people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    Thank God for youtube. Second video I tried showing how you are supposed to do it and success. Why the #### couldn't those bastards have had that info in their manuals? Things don't have to be that hard people.
    Drives me crazy trying to remember what procedure works with which car. 2 of the 3 cars don't have the reset info in their manuals.

Because they want you to take it to the dealer for service.

Some of the sequences to turn off the light are funny. My GMC was a combination of key on/off and pedal presses. Tried it a number of times couldn't get it to work. Eventually I realized I was pressing the brake pedal. Was supposed to press the gas. duh.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Drives me crazy trying to remember what procedure works with which car. 2 of the 3 cars don't have the reset info in their manuals.
    Really, for years the paper decal deal that went on the door jam was plenty good enough, but noooooooooooooo, all the stupid mother####ers that couldn't use that led to crap that infuriates me. Thank God my other (and primary) vehicle is a 78 F-150.

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Because they want you to take it to the dealer for service.

Some of the sequences to turn off the light are funny. My GMC was a combination of key on/off and pedal presses. Tried it a number of times couldn't get it to work. Eventually I realized I was pressing the brake pedal. Was supposed to press the gas. duh.
    Color me shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Its buried in the manual for our Grand Cherokee....deep in the manual.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    Back in May I acquired a Highlander to replace the Explorer the wife totaled. Last week the oil change notification came on though I have less than 3000 miles since the last change (changed when I got it) and a month according to what was in the navigation unit, no worries. So today I got the oil changed (6.5 quarts of oil) and reset all the date, mileage, information in the navigation system, but the start up warning was still coming on. So I combed through the 577 page owners manual looking for how to reset it, nothing. Then off to browse the 260 page navigation unit manual, again nothing.

You're supposed to change the oil!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Not if it leaks enough were you have to add a quart every couple of weeks, that way it is always fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Its buried in the manual for our Grand Cherokee....deep in the manual.
    Same for our 2015 Cherokee. Deep enough that I just Google it on my phone after the oil change. :) Takes less time than opening the glovebox and riffling through the manual. I think it ignition button ON, but not Start, and three gas pedal presses inside of 10 seconds. Resetting the 98/99/ BMWs, that requires shorting a pin in the underhood diagnostic connector or running some pirated BMW diagnostic software on a laptop and buying a couple of adapters :)

One reason the paper stickers are not so good anymore is that a lot of modern vehicles extrapolate oil life based on a lot of factors. Run time/RPM time/Calculated load, that sort of thing. If you run lots of short trips with tons of stop and start traffic, might ask you to change it at 5K, whereas if you do lots of long steady state cruises, might go 8K. the BWMs, they don't do anything that complex,. it's just mileage, 7K I think.

Standing by for obligatory "Well, 3K was good enough fer me pappy and me pappys pappy, it's good enough for my cars!!!" :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Yes, at the same time you check the blinker fluid. Dontcha know anything?

Members who have read this thread: 42