2008 Toyota Higjhlander

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Back in May I acquired a Highlander to replace the Explorer the wife totaled. Last week the oil change notification came on though I have less than 3000 miles since the last change (changed when I got it) and a month according to what was in the navigation unit, no worries. So today I got the oil changed (6.5 quarts of oil) and reset all the date, mileage, information in the navigation system, but the start up warning was still coming on. So I combed through the 577 page owners manual looking for how to reset it, nothing. Then off to browse the 260 page navigation unit manual, again nothing.

Thank God for youtube. Second video I tried showing how you are supposed to do it and success. Why the #### couldn't those bastards have had that info in their manuals? Things don't have to be that hard people.

Grumpy

Thank God for youtube. Second video I tried showing how you are supposed to do it and success. Why the #### couldn't those bastards have had that info in their manuals? Things don't have to be that hard people.

:yay: Drives me crazy trying to remember what procedure works with which car. 2 of the 3 cars don't have the reset info in their manuals.

Because they want you to take it to the dealer for service.

Some of the sequences to turn off the light are funny. My GMC was a combination of key on/off and pedal presses. Tried it a number of times couldn't get it to work. Eventually I realized I was pressing the brake pedal. Was supposed to press the gas. duh.

Ken King

PREMO Member
:yay: Drives me crazy trying to remember what procedure works with which car. 2 of the 3 cars don't have the reset info in their manuals.

Really, for years the paper decal deal that went on the door jam was plenty good enough, but noooooooooooooo, all the stupid mother####ers that couldn't use that led to crap that infuriates me. Thank God my other (and primary) vehicle is a 78 F-150.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Because they want you to take it to the dealer for service.

Some of the sequences to turn off the light are funny. My GMC was a combination of key on/off and pedal presses. Tried it a number of times couldn't get it to work. Eventually I realized I was pressing the brake pedal. Was supposed to press the gas. duh.

Color me shocked!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Its buried in the manual for our Grand Cherokee....deep in the manual.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Back in May I acquired a Highlander to replace the Explorer the wife totaled. Last week the oil change notification came on though I have less than 3000 miles since the last change (changed when I got it) and a month according to what was in the navigation unit, no worries. So today I got the oil changed (6.5 quarts of oil) and reset all the date, mileage, information in the navigation system, but the start up warning was still coming on. So I combed through the 577 page owners manual looking for how to reset it, nothing. Then off to browse the 260 page navigation unit manual, again nothing.

You're supposed to change the oil!?! :yikes:

glhs837

Power with Control
Its buried in the manual for our Grand Cherokee....deep in the manual.

Same for our 2015 Cherokee. Deep enough that I just Google it on my phone after the oil change. :) Takes less time than opening the glovebox and riffling through the manual. I think it ignition button ON, but not Start, and three gas pedal presses inside of 10 seconds. Resetting the 98/99/ BMWs, that requires shorting a pin in the underhood diagnostic connector or running some pirated BMW diagnostic software on a laptop and buying a couple of adapters :)

One reason the paper stickers are not so good anymore is that a lot of modern vehicles extrapolate oil life based on a lot of factors. Run time/RPM time/Calculated load, that sort of thing. If you run lots of short trips with tons of stop and start traffic, might ask you to change it at 5K, whereas if you do lots of long steady state cruises, might go 8K. the BWMs, they don't do anything that complex,. it's just mileage, 7K I think.

Standing by for obligatory "Well, 3K was good enough fer me pappy and me pappys pappy, it's good enough for my cars!!!" :)