Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Broken Mower Deck

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    I'm sorry to have to ask... but what is a MIG?
    A glue gun.

That uses steel.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    A glue gun.

That uses steel.
    correction....... its a Hot Glue Gun that uses molten steel as a adhesive.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    You would not believe the number of oyster dredges, dredge rigs with winches, crab pot winders, hydraulic power packs, hydraulic steering setups, net rollers, etc etc that we've built and rebuilt. Or ..maybe you would.
    I would. Seeing some of your toys and that garage of yours and your knowledge shared here. You are definitely a self reliant fellow well versed in dealing with any issues presented.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    But did you do it with bailing wire and a set of Whitworth wrenches?
    I've been known to improvise a bit when it comes to trail fixes...like this busted front radius arm that I welded back together with a Bud Light can, and my very poplar front suspension design (swidt?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radius arm repair.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	119553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	119554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice Breaker 2009 on trlr.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	119555
    Last edited by Gilligan; 08-06-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Suspension Engineering by Thor Heyerdahl and Adolphus Bush......

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Suspension Engineering by Thor Heyerdahl and Adolphus Bush......
    Has a solid ring to it..sounds impressive even..totally legit. ;-)

The beer can is duct taped to an 1-1/8" combination wrench that is inside that rectangular tubing to "splice" it together...the cable from the front winch is pulling it together. Took us a few beers to figger out how to make the combination wrench splice stay put...;-)

I've put that picture out on numerous 4x4 forums over the years and told them it was a "beer can weld". Got lotsa "wows" and no few "Bullcrap..how you do that?" posts in response. I told them that I was an explosives engineer (I was once) that I gathered up all the ingredients to make a trail version of Thermite, filled the beer can with it, pulled the two pieces of busted arm together and lit it with a cigarette. Voila!!

Many believed. I hope I'm not somehow responsible for anyone getting burned over the years... ;-p "hey..you kids..don't you try this..."
    Last edited by Gilligan; 08-06-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

I told them that I was an explosives engineer (I was once) that I gathered up all the ingredients to make a trail version of Thermite, filled the beer can with it, pulled the two pieces of busted arm together and lit it with a cigarette. Voila!!
    They did that on Big Bang Theory once trying to heat a lugnut. Burned down the van they were trying to fix.

Engineers. So smart yet so dumb.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Has a solid ring to it..sounds impressive even..totally legit. ;-)

The beer can is duct taped to an 1-1/8" combination wrench that is inside that rectangular tubing to "splice" it together...the cable from the front winch is pulling it together. Took us a few beers to figger out how to make the combination wrench splice stay put...;-)

I've put that picture out on numerous 4x4 forums over the years and told them it was a "beer can weld". Got lotsa "wows" and no few "Bullcrap..how you do that?" posts in response. I told them that I was an explosives engineer (I was once) that I gathered up all the ingredients to make a trail version of Thermite, filled the beer can with it, pulled the two pieces of busted arm together and lit it with a cigarette. Voila!!

Many believed. I hope I'm not somehow responsible for anyone getting burned over the years... ;-p "hey..you kids..don't you try this..."
    Next time change it up to, I packed the beer can up with steel wool and and then poured in a jar of pickle juice and shortly we had a Exothermic Chemical Reaction and it welded itself together. Hell even Hoosiers could understand that.

I've been known to improvise a bit when it comes to trail fixes...like this busted front radius arm that I welded back together with a Bud Light can, and my very poplar front suspension design (swidt?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radius arm repair.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	119553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	119554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice Breaker 2009 on trlr.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	119555
    Was that a 10 oz. bud light?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Was that a 10 oz. bud light?
    That's a trade secret.

Members who have read this thread: 88