Need Advice: Broken Mower Deck

awpitt

Main Streeter
Hi All…

A piece of my mower deck sheared off at the weld joint today. As the picture shows, there is a lip thatfits into a slot on the mower deck and then there is the weld joint.

My question is, can this be fixed? Ifso, does anyone know of a welder or maybe an auto body shop that might be ableto fix this for a reasonable price? My only other choices would be to buy anentire new mower deck which I can’t find because this tractor is 11 years old.Plus it would probably cost $600+. Orto write it off which I don’t want to do because the tractor itself is in verygood condition. Runs like new and hasnever failed to start. It’s just themower deck that got hosed.

I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks.

mower-deck.jpg

General Lee

Oh yea that can be welded easily enough. Maybe check w/ coffee hill welding across from wicomico shores sub-division .

black dog

Free America
Either Coffee Hill or Roberts Welding would be more than glad to take care of you.
36333 Roberts Welding Ln, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
(301) 884-2085

You also have Stoffers Machine Shop that can do it.

3 Mules Welding can probably provide names if you happen to be close to them (GMR across the street from Curtis Tire).

black dog

Free America
3 Mules Welding can probably provide names if you happen to be close to them (GMR across the street from Curtis Tire).

Doc or Brian Oliver will send you to Roberts located at the Oliver Farm.
Robey is Docs son in law.

black dog

Free America
yep... That little Hobart in the back is what I use on anything light like the sheet metal on a mower deck.

View attachment 119547

How do you like your esab 250? Great work horses.
I have one and a 260 .. The 260 with 1/16" 7100 wire, just a quiet sizzle. Awesome machine, what handler do you have? I have a old 120 cricket and a 220 handler 170?
I bought it just to tack tools together, but it really gets used alot it's my only machine that I run .035 wire in, the others are .45 and 1/16 dual Shield's.
We don't melt much thin stuff.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
How do you like your esab 250? Great work horses.
I have one and a 260 .. The 260 with 1/16" 7100 wire, just a quiet sizzle. Awesome machine, what handler do you have? I have a old 120 cricket and a 220 handler 170?
I bought it just to tack tools together, but it really gets used alot it's my only machine that I run .035 wire in, the others are .45 and 1/16 dual Shield's.
We don't melt much thin stuff.

The Esab 250 is too reliable. I say that because I want an excuse to my a new MIG for the heavier aluminum work..and the Esab won't die. It's 16 years old. Profax spool gun on it though..a much better piece than Esab sold back then.
The Handler is a 20 year old 120..another stone reliable machine. I also have (not pictured) a lot of other machines, including an Airco full-spool wire handler that is push-pull...for serious aluminum production work.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Need Advice: Broken Mower Deck
My question is, can this be fixed?

Dear Broken Mower Deck,

It appears, that, you, are not an industrious kind of man. For a man from Saint Mary's County, I would have expected more. Must be a transplant. Anyways, on to your conundrum. It appears the welds that hold the support to the mower deck have weakened and sheared away from their foundations. If you were in God's Country, aka, the 7th district, you would have just powered up your old stick welder and fixed it in two minutes. Or absent a welder, and anywhere else in Saint Mary's County, acquired a few solid L brackets, not unlike the shape of those magic red L arrows you placed in your graphic, drilled a couple of well placed holes, and secured them, the support and mower deck, with bolts and self locking nuts, and gone about your business knowing that your repair will now outlast the remaining life of your riding grass cutting machine. This being what a man would do. Not come to a forum and ask what to do and bemoaning the possible replacement costs.

You are welcome and have a nice grass cutting day.

Mr. Need Advise

P.S. All letters to Mr. Need Advise are read, but many are not answered due to the volume received. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Or absent a welder, and anywhere else in Saint Mary's County, acquired a few solid L brackets, not unlike the shape of those magic red L arrows you placed in your graphic, drilled a couple of well placed holes, and secured them, the support and mower deck, with bolts and self locking nuts, .

The good ole ###### rig.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Dear Broken Mower Deck,

It appears, that, you, are not an industrious kind of man. For a man from Saint Mary's County, I would have expected more. Must be a transplant. Anyways, on to your conundrum. It appears the welds that hold the support to the mower deck have weakened and sheared away from their foundations. If you were in God's Country, aka, the 7th district, you would have just powered up your old stick welder and fixed it in two minutes. Or absent a welder, and anywhere else in Saint Mary's County, acquired a few solid L brackets, not unlike the shape of those magic red L arrows you placed in your graphic, drilled a couple of well placed holes, and secured them, the support and mower deck, with bolts and self locking nuts, and gone about your business knowing that your repair will now outlast the remaining life of your riding grass cutting machine. This being what a man would do. Not come to a forum and ask what to do and bemoaning the possible replacement costs.

You are welcome and have a nice grass cutting day.

Mr. Need Advise

P.S. All letters to Mr. Need Advise are read, but many are not answered due to the volume received. Thank you for your understanding.

You would not believe the number of oyster dredges, dredge rigs with winches, crab pot winders, hydraulic power packs, hydraulic steering setups, net rollers, etc etc that we've built and rebuilt. Or ..maybe you would.

black dog

Free America
You would not believe the number of oyster dredges, dredge rigs with winches, crab pot winders, hydraulic power packs, hydraulic steering setups, net rollers, etc etc that we've built and rebuilt. Or ..maybe you would.

But did you do it with bailing wire and a set of Whitworth wrenches?