Amid immigration battles, College Park considers giving noncitizens voting rights

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Amid immigration battles, College Park considers giving noncitizens voting rights

Officials in College Park are weighing a plan that would make their city the largest in Maryland to give undocumented immigrants a right to vote in local elections, a long-standing practice elsewhere in the state that has drawn new scrutiny amid the simmering national debate over immigration.

The Prince George’s County city, home of the flagship University of Maryland campus and some 30,000 residents, is considering a measure to let noncitizens cast ballots for mayor and City Council — making it the latest target in a movement that has had more success in Maryland than anywhere else in the United States.

College Park officials are debating the charter amendment after a divisive national election in which immigration played a prominent part. Many left-leaning cities, including Baltimore, are now at odds with President Donald J. Trump's initial efforts to fulfill a campaign promise to crack down on immigration violations.

Supporters of the College Park measure say local elections center on trash collection, snow removal and other municipal services that affect people regardless of their citizenship status. The proposal, like those already approved in other small Maryland cities and towns, would not allow undocumented immigrants to vote for president, senator, congressman or governor.

SamSpade

If they keep doing this sort of thing - what would it mean to be a citizen at ALL?

I don't buy their argument that non-citizens are affected by the same sort of decisions as citizens -
but that is true anywhere. If I stay in a foreign nation on a visa, I don't expect to have the right to VOTE there.
The right to vote has to be the most basic fundamental right reserved to citizens of a nation.

Wishbone

I'm sure they won't take away your right to pay excessive taxes... And I'm sure they'll continue to redistribute the money to the lazy and illegals through benefits programs.

So you have that going for you!

Hijinx

http://forums.somd.com/threads/322812-Boo-Frickin-Hoo

This woman just got an opportunity to visit her home country for voting in an election illegally.
Now how the hell is she supposed to know better than to vote for the president when she is given her ballot in College park.
BS like this just adds to the confusion, if there is any ,that illegals or non-citizens may have.

It isn't hard to understand that Maryland is the second most ####ed up state in the country for politics and God and the Democrats only knows what gerrymandered district College Park is in. It's all part of being in a State governed by democrats for so long.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Julio Murillo, a policy analyst with the immigration advocacy group CASA, supports the measure.

“Whenever you open up elections to noncitizens, what you’re really doing is sending a strong message that you celebrate your diversity,” he said.

:roflmao:

Reading the comments, though, I am pleased to see that We the People are no longer falling for this crap and see it for what it is.

Hijinx

Julio Murillo, a policy analyst with the immigration advocacy group CASA, supports the measure.

“Whenever you open up elections to noncitizens, what you’re really doing is sending a strong message that you celebrate your diversity,” he said.

Where is the diversity when they all sign up as democrats.?